Jason Radcliffe, Andre Goncalves and Corrin Eaton set to thrill at Contenders 17
- Credit: Archant
It is already one of the biggest and best MMA promotions in the country. And the next Contenders Norwich card, at the Norfolk Showground on December 10, looks set to be an absolute cracker.
Middleweight slugger Jason Radcliffe once again headlines, having submitted Italian Pasquale Coluccio in the first round on the last event in September.
It is not confirmed yet who the fearsome fighter, who has won his last five bouts inside the first round, will face in December, but promoter Steve Newman has vowed to find him the sternest possible test.
Radcliffe (10-2) is a dynamite fighter to watch, packing powerful punches and kicks as well as a very well rounded ground game – it's surely just a matter of time before he's making noise in the UFC 185lbs division.
'Jason is a really powerful and exciting fighter to watch,' said Newman. 'He's on that five-fight winning streak and is calling out everyone in the middleweight division, not that anyone will fight him.
You may also want to watch:
'A lot of fighters say they'll fight anyone, but Jason really means it.
'Getting the likes of Jason on the card is a major coup – he's heading all the way to the UFC and I truly believe he will be a star.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 6 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 9 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 10 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
Also on the main card is a mouth-watering match-up between Thetford's unbeaten lightweight Andre Goncalves and Norwegian grappler Kim Thinghaugen.
The confident Goncalves (2-0-1) has never been beaten as an amateur or a pro, and formed part of the fight of the night at Contenders 15, when he and Aaron Khalid battled to a draw in a blood and guts war.
'It's good to have Andre back,' said Newman. 'Him and Kim should be a very good fight, Kim's a tough Norwegian and that has all the makings of a cracker.'
Rounding out the main card are the likes of Wisbech flyweight Jamie Powell – the Contenders title holder – and Dutch striker Mellony Geugjes, with popular Ipswich featherweight Corrin Eaton (8-2) also set to thrill the crowd.
'Corrin has just won on Rise of Champions,' said Newman. 'He's an explosive featherweight for his size and if you're an MMA fan from Suffolk it's definitely worth making the trip to Norwich to watch him.'
Also on the card is a tantalising K1 clash between Norfolk's Jake Catterall and Cameron Cunningham, a tremendously talented youngster from Bury St Edmunds.
It is also hoped that Kevin Layne , a 47-year-old MMA fighter from Ipswich, will be in action.
Newman hopes to have up to 1,400 fans in attendance as Contenders continues to build its reputation.
'I want to compete with the likes of Cage Warriors, Bellator and BAMMA,' he said. 'They're the big three (below the UFC) and I want to be the fourth.'
- Tickets, starting at £30 are available now at www.contendersea.com