Jake Newstead takes the positives from Snetterton weekend
Sprowston rider Jake Newstead saw plenty of positives in his Snetterton effort as the Team Tinklers racer looks to kick on in 2012.
Newstead's season in the British Superbikes-supporting Superstocks 600 National Championship has been a struggle at times and hopes of matching his 2011 podium on home soil did not materialise.
But the Norwich man is taking heart in what he saw at the weekend.
'We showed improved pace through qualifying and practice, even in warm-up in the morning we were 10th,' said Newstead.
'I led a lot of morning warm-up so initially out of the blocks, I felt I'd have good pace and if I had a good start in the race I would be away with it.
You may also want to watch:
'The start didn't go too badly but then there was a problem with the gearbox when I was trying to overtake. We thought we had eradicated it but it seemed to be there once we tried to brake deep into the turns, and unfortunately we ended up coming down the field – so it was a little bit disappointing really.'
Newstead eventually came home 19th on his Yamaha on a baking Snetterton Sunday and may have to wait until Oulton Park at the start of July before testing the water again.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 7 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
But he remains positive about his future 2012 prospects.
'Coming back to a track we knew well and we had the set-up right here last year, it gave us the confidence to push on in the sessions and we were back in the area we felt we should be and can compete now,' he said.
'So hopefully we can push on again.'
• For more information on Team Tinklers, Jake Newstead or to help him with sponsorship for the remainder of the 2012 campaign, visit jakenewstead.com