Jake Newstead takes the positives from Snetterton weekend
Sprowston rider Jake Newstead saw plenty of positives in his Snetterton effort as the Team Tinklers racer looks to kick on in 2012.
Newstead's season in the British Superbikes-supporting Superstocks 600 National Championship has been a struggle at times and hopes of matching his 2011 podium on home soil did not materialise.
But the Norwich man is taking heart in what he saw at the weekend.
'We showed improved pace through qualifying and practice, even in warm-up in the morning we were 10th,' said Newstead.
'I led a lot of morning warm-up so initially out of the blocks, I felt I'd have good pace and if I had a good start in the race I would be away with it.
'The start didn't go too badly but then there was a problem with the gearbox when I was trying to overtake. We thought we had eradicated it but it seemed to be there once we tried to brake deep into the turns, and unfortunately we ended up coming down the field – so it was a little bit disappointing really.'
Newstead eventually came home 19th on his Yamaha on a baking Snetterton Sunday and may have to wait until Oulton Park at the start of July before testing the water again.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 4 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 5 Car flips over in crash near south Norfolk village
- 6 Unfinished barn conversion to go up for sale at auction
- 7 Norwich painter and decorator named best in the country
- 8 Emma Thompson backs Norwich charity which helped her daughter
- 9 Out of control dog attacked and killed sheep, court hears
- 10 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance
But he remains positive about his future 2012 prospects.
'Coming back to a track we knew well and we had the set-up right here last year, it gave us the confidence to push on in the sessions and we were back in the area we felt we should be and can compete now,' he said.
'So hopefully we can push on again.'
• For more information on Team Tinklers, Jake Newstead or to help him with sponsorship for the remainder of the 2012 campaign, visit jakenewstead.com