Jack Friend helps Wisbech bounce back

Sixteen-year-old debutant Jack Friend became Wisbech's youngest ever goalscorer as he put the icing on the cake in the Fenmen's 4-1 win at home to Thetford.

Wisbech, looking to bounce back after their shock defeat at Felixstowe & Walton in their previous match, were leading 3-1 in the 89th minute when substitute Friend picked up a rebound in the area, calmly beat a defender and picked his spot perfectly to wrap up the points.

The Fenmen had gone ahead in the second minute when Chris Bacon volleyed in at the far post after Dubi Ogbonna's low cross from the left.

Neal Spafford doubled the lead on 51 minutes when he converted from the edge of the six-yard box and two minutes later it was 3-0 as Bacon headed in a cross from the left.

Thetford pulled one back on 80 minutes, but Friend had the final word as Wisbech remained three points behind leader Mildenhall, who beat Norwich United 2-1.

The Planters had taken a 15th minute lead when Ian Hunter drove into the box and teed up Tom Jeal to score.

Mildenhall hit the bar, but Norwich held on to their lead until half-time. Their resistance was finally broken just after the hour mark when James Paterson's shot squirmed through the grasp of Ben Nower.

Most Read

The hosts then grabbed the winner three minutes later as Kris Thomas tapped in.

Dereham returned to winning form with a 1-0 win at home to Godmanchester.

The Magpies, who had lost their unbeaten record the previous weekend, scored the only goal of the game in the 31st minute. Luke Tuttle combined well with strike partner Shaun Bammant and the former shrugged off the attentions of his marker to send a 25-yard drive into the net.

Kirkley & Pakefield's winless run in the league stretched to four games as they drew 2-2 at Woodbridge.

Ryan Crisp ensured Paul Tong's side came away with a point as he struck both goals for the KP Royals.

Richard Daniels' difficult start as the new manager of Diss continued with a 1-0 defeat at home to fellow strugglers Felixstowe & Walton.

The Tangerines suffered a 4-1 reverse in Daniels' first game in charge and there was little improvement on Saturday as they slipped to their fourth consecutive league defeat.

Gorleston produced a battling display to earn a point in a 2-2 draw at Stanway Rovers.

There was an awful start for the Greens as the hosts took the lead after just 69 seconds.

Gorleston responded well, however, and were level four minutes later as Bradley Hough fed Jack Garrod to score.

The Greens were denied a second when Ally McKenna found the net, only for play to be pulled back for an earlier foul on Hough.

But the visitors did go ahead on 57 minutes through McKenna's superb dipping volley from 20 yards.

Stanway pushed for an equaliser and it arrived on 74 minutes as the assistant referee ruled that a shot which hit the bar and bounced down had crossed the line.

In the First Division, Swaffham were 6-1 winners at home to Debenham LC, with goals from Jamie Buhlemann, Alex Vincent and Richard Cornwall making it 3-0 at half-time, before Joe Jackson netted a hat-trick after the break.

Great Yarmouth were denied victory by an 84th minute equaliser in a 2-2 draw at Whitton United.

Joel Watts put the Bloaters ahead on 24 minutes and although Whitton missed a penalty early in the second half, they equalised on 57 minutes. Substitute George Barnden restored Yarmouth's lead but six minutes from time the hosts pulled level again.

Downham Town were beaten 4-1 at Halstead Town.