Ivor refuses to be deflated by late blow
Ivor McCullough was a lucky victor of the VdeV sportscar race at Snetterton on Saturday as he dragged his winning Ligier home with a flat tyre.
Ivor McCullough was a lucky victor of the VdeV sportscar race at Snetterton on Saturday as he dragged his winning Ligier home with a flat tyre, writes Lewis Beales.
Racing down the back straight for the final time, to a seemingly untroubled win, a rear tyre blew out, leaving him to nurse the car home on just three good tyres.
McCullough had inherited the lead from Bryce Wilson when the locally-based driver had to pull off with a similar tyre problem, which would nearly knock McCullough out.
The Classic Sports car race easily fell to the father and son pair of Michael and Mike Wilkinson in their Jaguar E Type.
Andy Earl had to pull off a remarkable overtaking manoeuvre on Tony Palmer to take second place in his E Type while Norwich's Roger Quantrill finished in 22nd place.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 6 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
V de V UK: 1 Ivor McCullough (Ligier JS49); 2 Tony Freeman/Duncan Williams (Juno SSE); 3 Edward Lovett (Norma M20).
Classics Sports Car Race: 1 Mike Wilkinson/Michael Wilkinson (Jaguar E Type); 2 Andy Earl (Jaguar E Type); 3 Mark Livens/Robert Dyball (Honda Civic Type R).