It’s thrills all the way at Frostbites
Frostbites returned to the water last Sunday when seven Norfolks came out for two short but exciting races.
With a bitterly cold easterly blowing Force 3-4 with gusts at the upper end of Force Five, and a dead run upstream there was no dissent when a reef was ordered.
David and Kate Mackley started the first race in pole position and held it throughout, but Ray Johnson and Wendy Bush had to fight hard for second after Kevin Edwards and Rory Kelsey battled through the fleet the hard way after being over, by a long way, at the start to catch, but then lose, them again.
The excitement started at the lower mark, when Johnson inadvertently carried it a few yards towards the Whitlingham Park bank on the first round, complicating things for Geoff Coulthard and Pat Woodcock, who ended up hard aground.
A few minutes later Danny Tyrrell and Ben Campbell enjoyed an invigorating swim at the top mark after a spectacular gybe flattened them thanks to a savage gust which blew up at the crucial moment.
You may also want to watch:
The handicap race proved a clear win for Johnson, with Kate Mackley doing well to move up from sixth at the start to finish second.
John Ellis and John Atkinson came third with all three positions unaffected by handicap adjustments.
- 1 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 2 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 3 Norwich takeaway's food poisoning complaint investigation closed
- 4 Drivers delivering for Amazon have hundreds of pounds of pay withheld
- 5 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 6 Peter Crouch drove to Yarmouth while on Norwich loan - and wasn't impressed
- 7 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 8 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 9 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 10 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash