It’s Sibson to the rescue

MEN'S EAST LEAGUE: Mark Sibson smashed the ball home with the last touch of the game to rescue a 2-2 draw for Norwich City against Harleston Magpies II in Premier B.

Harleston took the lead from their first meaningful chance, with a short corner being flicked past keeper Leonard. City were lucky to only be one goal down at the break as Leonard made a super save from a one-on-one.

In the second half Norwich equalised early on when a huge aerial from Perry was illegally blocked and from the short corner Morgan pulled the ball out to Sibson, who slipped it back to Morgan to slot home.

Harleston restored their lead soon after when Morgan scythed down their winger and from the resulting short corner the ball was struck into the goal from close range.

Norwich pressed for another equaliser and with 20 seconds left Elliott sneaked into the D and fired the ball to Sibson, who converted with a crisp first time shot.

With Cambridge University II beating Harpenden, City still need to win their final game at Pelicans on Saturday to guarantee second place, although promotion has already been confirmed as the students can't join their first team in Premier A.

Having won the league last week, Dereham were unable to maintain their unbeaten home record as they lost 5-3 to Letchworth.

Most Read

The visitors seemed more motivated and took an early lead through a penalty flick after Tom Vaughan had tripped a forward.

This spurred Dereham on, and Will Edwards broke from the left to beat two defenders before laying the ball off perfectly for Richard Stainthorpe to finish past the outcoming keeper.

Dereham took the lead shortly afterwards when Sam Plater followed up his own short corner with a crisp low strike but Letchworth equalised when Dereham were unable to clear their lines and it was 2-3 just before half-time when a long ball was deflected into the bottom corner.

Dereham started the second half strongly and eventually Mike Timm popped up to deflect a short corner past the keeper to equalise.

Letchworth then scored a fourth from a short corner and, as Dereham searched for another equaliser, the visitors added to their tally.

Norwich City II's hopes of promotion from Division 2N ended when they were held to a 2-2 draw at Harleston Magpies II.

City were dealt an early blow when debutant Barney Stuttard suffered an ankle injury and was unable to continue. Harleston took the lead when Tom Hindle failed to get the desired contact on a cross and poked the ball past Tom Franks.

Harleston doubled their lead from a short corner early in the second half before both sides were reduced to 10 men as Phil Cobbold and George Anthony were punished for tackling from behind.

City pressed forward with incisive runs from Gareth Cox, Rob Meyer and Richard Silvester and Matt Brine pulled one back. Then, with around seven minutes left on the clock, City drew level when a run from Meyer ended with Brine thumping the ball home. City laid siege to the Harleston D for the last five minutes, with man of the match Oli Oxbury mopping up any loose balls, before Gareth Cox put a late chance high and wide.

In the same section Norwich Dragons let an early lead slip as they lost 4-2 to City of Peterborough III.

After some neat passing Gould scored the opener, touching home the ball as it was fired into the circle. As the half moved on Peterborough stepped up their game and moved into a 2-1 lead at the break. Gould then scored his second, firing home from close range to level the scores, but with five minutes to go Dragons had a man sinbinned and Peterborough took full advantage to take the points.

Norwich City IV's promotion hopes in Division 5NE suffered a setback when they lost 3-2 at Dereham IV after being 2-0 up (Sam Matthews, Mike Marrison).

In Division 6NE Norwich Dragons III won 4-2 at Norfolk Nomads (Mike Banham 2, Ricky Powley, Andy Key).