It’s Ell on road
DAVID CUFFLEY Leeds United 1, Norwich City 0: Birthday boy David Healy sent the Canaries crashing to defeat on the opening day of the Coca Cola Championship season at Elland Road - on an afternoon City debutant Lee Croft would probably rather forget.
Birthday boy David Healy sent the Canaries crashing to defeat on the opening day of the Coca Cola Championship season at Elland Road - on an afternoon City debutant Lee Croft would probably rather forget.
Leeds striker Healy, celebrating his 27th birthday, scored the only goal from the penalty spot five minutes before half-time, but it was a reckless challenge by Croft that conceded the spot-kick.
Croft brought down Eirik Bakke when there seemed little danger following a cross by Gary Kelly.
You may also want to watch:
The £600,000 signing from Manchester City was then substituted early in the second half after hobbling with what may have been cramp.
The Canaries produced their share of fluent football, especially in the first half when Robert Earnshaw was foiled by Leeds keeper Tony Warner, and also struck the woodwork.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
Manager Nigel Worthington sent on three attacking substitutes after the break but to no avail.