It’s Ell on road
DAVID CUFFLEY Leeds United 1, Norwich City 0: Birthday boy David Healy sent the Canaries crashing to defeat on the opening day of the Coca Cola Championship season at Elland Road - on an afternoon City debutant Lee Croft would probably rather forget.
Birthday boy David Healy sent the Canaries crashing to defeat on the opening day of the Coca Cola Championship season at Elland Road - on an afternoon City debutant Lee Croft would probably rather forget.
Leeds striker Healy, celebrating his 27th birthday, scored the only goal from the penalty spot five minutes before half-time, but it was a reckless challenge by Croft that conceded the spot-kick.
Croft brought down Eirik Bakke when there seemed little danger following a cross by Gary Kelly.
The £600,000 signing from Manchester City was then substituted early in the second half after hobbling with what may have been cramp.
The Canaries produced their share of fluent football, especially in the first half when Robert Earnshaw was foiled by Leeds keeper Tony Warner, and also struck the woodwork.
- 1 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 2 46-cabin holiday park proposed for Norfolk countryside
- 3 Two women in hospital with serious injuries after A47 slip road crash
- 4 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 5 Organisers of Norfolk festival 'gutted' after cancelling due to fire risk
- 6 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after man made lewd comment
- 7 Dental woes worsen as town's troubled surgery closes permanently
- 8 Pub plans store and Post Office after village's only shop closes
- 9 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 10 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
Manager Nigel Worthington sent on three attacking substitutes after the break but to no avail.