It's all quiet on the transfer front
CHRIS LAKEY Nigel Worthington admits he won't be holding his breath as the transfer deadline draws to a close on Thursday.
Nigel Worthington admits he won't be holding his breath as the transfer deadline draws to a close on Thursday.
The Canaries manager has until Thursday midnight to add to a squad which has grown in size by just one this summer - Lee Croft being the only addition.
However, with City nicely perched in second place in the Championship and having started the same team for each of the campaign's five Championship outings so far, Worthington's priority is to find players to add depth to a shallow-looking squad.
“We still need numbers for the squad in case we pick up any injuries or people lose form,” he said. “To add one or two would be useful, without interrupting anything in the first team.”
The signing of Croft from Manchester City, has heralded a preferred formation of 4-3-3 and brought with it a passing game with the emphasis on attacking football - and brought its reward in the shape of three wins, a draw and a defeat.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 5 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 6 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 7 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 8 Stunning drone shots capture high tide in Wells
- 9 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot set for submission
- 10 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
Worthington - whose wants cover at left back, centre forward and goalkeeper - denied rumours in Blackburn's Finnish striker Shefqi Kuqi.
The 29-year-old looks like being surplus to requirements at Ewood Park and has attracted interest from West Brom and Birmingham. Norwich, though, have not been amongst the chasing pack.
“He's a player we like, but he is not someone we have inquired about,” said Worthington.
“There are inquiries that are on-going but I am not holding my breath. It's all quiet on the western front.
“If you speak to different managers it's pretty quiet all around.”