Stars left empty-handed after late Witches’ burst
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
King's Lynn and Ipswich played out another Premiership drama at Foxhall – and it was the Witches who had the last word, winning 49-41.
Nobody in the stadium can doubt Lynn deserved at least a point from another stunning meeting between these two great rivals, who had drawn 45-45 at the Norfolk Arena on Monday, but Ipswich delivered the goods when it mattered most in the closing stages.
In a nip and tuck encounter with never more than four points between the two sides, it took a heat 14 maximum from Cameron Heeps and Krystian Pieszczek to seal the points for the home side.
The Poultec Stars made a good start with a race winner from the first two races.
But back-to-back Witches' heat advantages in races three and four put them 15-9 up.
You may also want to watch:
Stars responded immediately with a 5-1 in the fifth heat as skipper Robert Lambert and Michael Palm Toft came up trumps.
Both sides swapped 4-2 advantages which kept the scores close going into the interval - 31-29 to the Witches.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 6 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
Ipswich extended their lead to four points with 4-2 in heat 11.
But the visitors responded with 4-2 win in heat 13 to cut the deficit to two points as Craig Cook got the win while Lambert avoided a Witches sandwich to hold on for third ahead of Danny King at the back.
Stars were left up against it to secure at least a point after conceding a 5-1 in heat 14.
A Witches 4-2 in the final race meant the visitors returned to Norfolk with nothing after missing out on a losing point.
Lynn are back at home on Monday when they face high-flying Belle Vue (7.30pm).
Ipswich Witches 49: Cameron Heeps 13+2, Richard Lawson 11+1, Chris Harris 7+1, Krystian Pieszczek 6+2, Danny King 6, Kyle Howarth 3+2, Edward Kennett 3.
King's Lynn Stars: Craig Cook 12, Lewis Kerr 12, Robert Lambert 9, Thomas Jorgensen 5, Michael Palm Toft 3+1, Ty Proctor 0, Simon Lambert 0.
Belle Vue 11 23
Ipswich 9 22
Peterborough 11 17
Poole 8 15
Swindon 8 11
Wolves 8 10
King's Lynn 9 7