Inside Track 2013: Captain Mads Korneliussen’s weekly look inside the Norfolk Arena
- Credit: IAN BURT
The season in the UK ends for me tonight and us riders will all be in limbo until November – which is a right pain in the backside.
We host Birmingham but the sport's AGM isn't for a couple of months. Why isn't it held earlier? Nobody knows the future of British speedway. You can't build a team. I, and many, will leave the country not knowing if we're coming back or who we could be riding for. It's just another example of this sport being a mess in the UK.
Why don't the promoters get together in July/August and work out which rules are working, which ones are not, and get things organised? After all, they spend the first three days of the AGM arguing anyway – which only delays stuff getting sorted. I want to be back at King's Lynn in 2014. From what the club are telling me they want me back. But we can't agree anything as they don't know what points they've got to play with, how many teams will be in the league or how many leagues there will be. There's hundreds of rumours flying about.
We lost 47-43 at Birmingham on Monday, which ended our faint play-off hopes. Mind you, as far as I'm aware tonight's meeting wouldn't even have counted because it is after the 'cut off'. What a load of rubbish. It's a fixture that needs fulfilling. As long as it's done before the semi-finals it should matter.
It's such a simple sport that has just become so complicated that even us involved in it don't really know what's going on anymore.
Monday's track wasn't great but we've ridden on far worse. Still it wasn't the best advert for speedway on Sky Sports again. I came off in heat eight and damaged my shoulder. I just hit a rut and couldn't hang on so it was my own fault. I'll grit my teeth and ride through the pain as I want to end our season on the high. Then I can sit back and watch the play-offs, which I'd like Wolverhampton to win.
? Mads Korneliussen was talking to Gavin Caney.
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 3 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 6 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 9 Key worker couple celebrate 'fairy tale' day after winning £32,000 wedding
- 10 A Hunstanton institution closes after almost 50 years
• Read Mads' exclusive column first every week on Wednesdays in the EDP.
• Follow Mads on Twitter, or read his previous columns, by clicking on the links on the right-hand side of this page.