Individual glory eludes Norfolk’s young cross country runners
Many of the best of Norfolk's young cross country runners competed in the Anglian Schools championships at Caythorpe Court near Grantham. The courses for all the races were tough with hills and were muddy underfoot.
The best individual performance came from Nastajja Potgeiter who finished strongly to take second place in the senior girls' race.
Tom Hook finished in fourth in the senior boys' race and was backed up by Scott Greeves in eighth. Ashley Waterson finished seventh place in the under 17 boys' race and was followed home by Matt Wileman in ninth.
In the under 15 boys race Luke Spear ran well to take third with Nyall Brown moving through to take seventh. In the under 15 girls' race the first Norfolk athlete to finish was Amy Clarke in 11th while in the under 13 girls' event the first Norfolk athlete was Rachel Bruce in seventh.
Overall Norfolk finished in fifth place with Suffolk comfortably taking the overall team award. For the first time in some years Norfolk didn't win any of the age group team events, with teams weakened by clashes with other competitions.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk's team for the English Schools championships in Derbyshire in March will be announced later in the week.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 6 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 10 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'