In and out: Murphy set for Wisbech Town return while Gibbs close to departure
- Credit: Archant
Midfielder Sam Murphy is poised to make his Wisbech Town return at Cogenhoe United today.
The young playmaker, a product of the Fenmen's youth set-up, joined Peterborough Northern Star in June 2012 after failing to hold down a regular place in Steve Appleby's side.
But he looks set to complete a comeback to his hometown club – now managed by former team-mates Paul Cousins and Scott Johnson – and, subject to paperwork being completed, will go straight into the squad for this afternoon's United Counties League Premier Division fixture.
Cousins said: 'Sam has been playing for PNS but he's a local lad who left to get more of a chance at playing at this level.
'He's shown he can do a job at this level and we feel he's most definitely good enough for us. We put in seven days for him and he's said he wants to come back. We've brought him in to add a bit of creativity.'
One player who won't be making the trip to Northamptonshire is striker Gary Gibbs. He is close to rejoining Peterborough Sports after just two matches with the higher-level Fenmen.
Cousins, who will also be without Charlie Butt because he has been 'temporarily' recalled by parent club King's Lynn Town, said: 'I'm a bit disappointed Gary is going. He didn't give himself much of a chance to see if he was good enough at our level. But he's said he doesn't feel he's good enough so I understand why he's leaving.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 5 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 6 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 7 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 8 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 9 Tributes paid to much-loved family man who died in A143 crash
- 10 Road closed for 'emergency' repairs to Victorian footbridge