Impressive Wymondham get there in the end

Wymondham 22, Sudbury 19: Wymondham recorded their second successive home win in London 3NE – but not without contriving to turn a comfortable lead into a nail-biting finish.

While the match will have been appreciated by any neutrals in the large crowd, the Wymondham faithful would have preferred a more straightforward finish.

The home team gifted Sudbury the first points on the 15 minute mark when their winger ran in a try which went unconverted.

The opposition score proved the spur that Wymondham needed and, just two minutes later, the ball was shipped to prolific scorer David Martin who sped down the wing to touch down and leave James Wyatt to add the conversion.

The Red and Blacks now began to take hold of the game and looked to ship the ball wide at every opportunity. This tactic bore fruit when, in the 25th minute, Alex Brugger, who has been probably the most consistent player in the side, was rewarded with a try which was again converted by Wyatt.

You may also want to watch:

Wymondham lost their No 10 Billy Graham-Park to the sin bin when he was adjudged to have put in a high tackle but the loss made little difference to the home team, who were dominating the game and led 14-5 at the break.

The second-half saw Wymondham start as they had finished the first and Wyatt calmly added to their score with a penalty, followed shortly after with a further try, this time from full back Steve Simms, who found himself on the halfway line with a huge gap opening up in front of him, and gratefully charged through to ground the ball. The conversion was narrowly missed and, with the score standing at 22-5, Wymondham were looking for the fourth try to secure the bonus point.

Most Read

The home side were playing sparkling rugby but it was from one of these purple patches, when Wymondham must have gone through a dozen phases, that they yielded possession and allowed Sudbury to break away with their scrum-half touching down and the full back adding the extra points to make the score 22-12.

The score seemed to revitalise Sudbury and they dug deep and began to exert pressure on the Wymondham line.

Play had been disrupted by a number of long injury stoppages which appeared to affect Wymondham's concentration and they allowed the opposition fly-half to score which, with the conversion, left Wymondham hanging on through a lengthy period of stoppage time with a slender three point cushion.

That they proved able to do so is a testament to their ever growing spirit of togetherness as it is very likely that, in a similar position last season, they would have conceded the game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter