Impressive visitors keep up good work

Chingford 11, Diss 30: Diss recorded a second successive victory to maintain their encouraging start to life in London One North on Saturday.

Diss travelled to Chingford on the back of an excellent home win against Letchworth.

Winning matches on the road is never easy but a confident team were expecting a good result in the first meeting between the two sides in three years.

The early exchanges were very even as both sides tried to test each other out, without making too many mistakes. Both sides exchanged penalties for a 3-3 scoreline. Diss then started to play some good territorial rugby and the pressure on Chingford's defence increased.

Deaglan Hall broke through the defence with a couple of sidesteps to score the first try, Chris Beaird converting for a 10-3 lead. Dan Broughtwood, for Chingford, and Beaird swapped two further penalties for a half-time score of 13-6 in Diss' favour.

You may also want to watch:

A double change saw Diss bringing on Rix and Farrer from the substitutes' bench to start the second half.

Turnover ball is often seen as the best ball to attack from and Diss set about achieving that aim. The Chingford prop was turned over by D Hall, who offloaded to a full of running Aaron Bliss. He opened up the defence and passed to Williamson who made the link to Farrer to score a great try from the best move of the match.

Most Read

Warren Wilby, playing at scrum half, put pressure on the opposition throughout the game and on a pick- up from the base, with support from Paul Cayley and Josh Williams, he was driven over the line to score. Beaird converted taking the score to 25-6.

Chingford No 10 Broughtwood then broke through to score a try to reduce the arrears to 14 points.

Diss, having the game won by now, sensed the opportunity for a bonus point in the last few minutes. Following a series of forward pick and goes Fraser Hall in the centre broke the line with a change of direction and offloaded to Bliss, who scored in the corner, giving the away team an important win and five league points.

The match was shortened when there was an accidental clash between the referee and a Diss player, resulting in concussion for the referee who was subsequently taken to hospital.

Diss will now be aiming to make it three wins on the trot on Saturday when they entertain Old Colfeians, who are just below them in the table.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter