Impressive victory for president Nickie Clark
County president Nickie Clark proved the responsibilities of her office are not affecting her game as she recorded an impressive victory in the Norfolk Senior Ladies Championship at Great Yarmouth and Caister.
The Royal Norwich player recorded a gross score of 84 on a testing windy day to win by two shots from county captain Alex Cowie of Barnham Broom with another Royal Norwich player, Nickie Wylie, third on 87. Swaffham's Anne Ewer came in with an 86, but took the handicap prize, meaning Wylie completed the top three in the scratch section prize list.
Clark's game was on an even keel, with several pars on holes directly hitting into the wind as well as with the wind behind, and a nice run of five pars in a row from the tricky third hole to the seventh.
After being presented with the Championship Salver, which she herself had presented to NLCGA, Clark said she was pleased to win the trophy in the centenary year.
A new handicap trophy was presented to NLCGA by the ladies of The Norfolk Golf Club, prior to its closure at the end of 2011. The first winner of this trophy with a net score of 72 (gross 86–14) was Ewer. Runner-up was Sue Hill of Dunston Hall (89–13-76) while third on handicap was Valerie Mellish (94–18-76).
You may also want to watch:
The president thanked Glenda Winn, Ladies Captain of the host club Great Yarmouth & Caister and all the members who had helped to make the day run so smoothly.
• Players from 16 clubs competed in Great Yarmouth & Caister's Open AmAm. The winning team, Jill Ollington, Jayne Harrold, Gail Barrett and Sue Soar from Costessey Park, scored an impressive 88 points. Second place with 84 went to a Royal Norwich team: Val Canham, Liz Wallace, Pat Bland and Mary Ann Hide. Third with 82 were Marion Anderson, Rosemary Woodhouse, Victoria Watson (Gorleston) and Lisa Tweed (GY&C) while fourth with 78 were Jeni Rose (GY&C) Nicky Wylie, Iet Cuppens and Jan Redgment (Royal Norwich).
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 5 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 6 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 7 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 10 Former village pub for sale as home