Impressive run to semis sees Chris prove he is the Mann
Wymondham's Chris Mann was Norfolk's only entry in the English Masters Singles at Wye Valley IBC at the weekend and pulled off some superb results before losing to the eventual winner Jonathan Payne of Belgium in the semi-finals.
In the last 16 stage Mann defeated Ken Sleat 21-13 before knocking out England and West Midlands ace Chris Willies by 21-18 in the quarter-finals.
Jonathan Payne beat Chris Mann 21-14 in the semi-finals before beating Chris Blackman 21-18 in the final.
The new season's Norwich Cup action started with Wymondham facing a tricky away tie at Felthorpe. Despite a spirited performance by the home side the talented Wymondham side emerged 16-8 winners although the outcome was in doubt until the final session.
Pat Saunders, Mary Fisher and Mark Linsdell started well for Wymondham with an 11-5 win against John Green's triple but Laurie Hall's Felthorpe triple beat Melvyn Barker's triple 7-5 to share the first session.
Wymondham's class began to tell over the next two sessions as Mark Linsdell's triple added an 8-3 win while both Brian Saunders and Chris Mann skipped their triples to 6-3 wins and Melvyn Barker drew 3-3. Trailing 9-3 on points at the interval Felthorpe knew they had a difficult task on their hands if they were to save the game but their hopes were lifted by a 6-3 win for Mick Harris against Chris Mann and a 4-4 draw for Pauline Nash against Brian Saunders.
A 5-3 win for Mick Harris against Mark Linsdell gave the City League side a further boost but Roger Steele, Jack Barrett and Brian Saunders kept Wymondham in front with a stunning 9-2 win against John Green.
- 1 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 6 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 7 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
- 8 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 9 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
- 10 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
Felthorpe needed to win the last two games to draw level on points but it was not to be as the experienced Wymondham side moved up a gear with Chris Mann winning 12-1 and Melvyn Barker winning 7-4 to take them safely through to the second round.
The Felthorpe triple of Diane Bowen, T Shelley and Mick Harris will be pleased with their four point contribution which matched the total points scored by their three other triples.
Last years winners Bob Carter entertained Hevingham and started as firm favourites but the visitors put up stiff resistance before going down 15-9.
Halvergate are also through after beating Hingham by 15-5 when the visitors conceded with a session to play.