Impressive display sees Norfolk through to national bowls final
- Credit: Archant
The Norfolk Derbyshire Trophy team completed their Southern Area qualifying with a 50 shot win over North Cambs and as a result ensured they would play in the final against either Nottinghamshire or Durham.
With three rinks at Acle IBC and three at Wisbech IBC the Norfolk bowlers knew that a win on one rink would see them qualify for the final. Starting well, they moved into a six shot lead after five ends. The lead was extended to 11 shots at 10 ends and with a surge in scoring over ends 11 to 15 they led 102-69. The lead was maintained and finishing strongly Norfolk ran out winners by 160 shots to 110. With wins on five of the six rinks they picked up 20 of the available 22 points.
They go on to play the final which will be held at Newark on April 28.
Rink scores: At Acle IBC, M Elliott, J Dyball and J Howlett 30-17, J Colcombe, S Elliott and G Tubby 22-19, T Dunton, J Fruin and D Goodley 31-17. At Wisbech IBC: P Winter, M Rawton and S Winter 37-15, A Sayer, M Riches and R Parker 17-22m L Hills,N Blyth and I Whiley 23-20.
The finals of this season's NCBA and NCWBA Indoor County Championships will be played on Sunday March 10, at Roundwood.
You may also want to watch:
Schedule: 9.30am: Men's Rinks. A Dunton, R Parker and J Howlett v D Toyn, J Tuddenham and R Greef. Ladies' Rinks: A Sumpter, S Stacey and J Kirby v L Bennett, M Haylett and E Cole. Under 25 Singles Semi-Finals: D Seabourne v M Sparrow. J Groves v T Cooper. 11.30-12.00: Mixed Pairs: B Toyn and H Rix v B Sadler and L Blake, Ladies' 4 bowl Senior Singles: P Rolph v M Haylett. Men's 4 Bowl Singles: N Blyth v I Wones. Under 25 singles final. 2.00pm: Mixed Rinks: P Rolph, R Greef and B Toyn v B Meeks, R Parker and D Goodley, Ladies 4 Bowl Singles: M Haylett v L Knights. Ladies' Pairs: L Blake and C Neave v M Auld and G Reeve. Men's Pairs: C Blake and I Wones v D Toyn and J Tuddenham. Men's Senior 4 Bowl Singles: B Sadler v A Manson.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 7 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 8 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 9 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 10 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones