Impressive display sees Norfolk through to national bowls final
- Credit: Archant
The Norfolk Derbyshire Trophy team completed their Southern Area qualifying with a 50 shot win over North Cambs and as a result ensured they would play in the final against either Nottinghamshire or Durham.
With three rinks at Acle IBC and three at Wisbech IBC the Norfolk bowlers knew that a win on one rink would see them qualify for the final. Starting well, they moved into a six shot lead after five ends. The lead was extended to 11 shots at 10 ends and with a surge in scoring over ends 11 to 15 they led 102-69. The lead was maintained and finishing strongly Norfolk ran out winners by 160 shots to 110. With wins on five of the six rinks they picked up 20 of the available 22 points.
They go on to play the final which will be held at Newark on April 28.
Rink scores: At Acle IBC, M Elliott, J Dyball and J Howlett 30-17, J Colcombe, S Elliott and G Tubby 22-19, T Dunton, J Fruin and D Goodley 31-17. At Wisbech IBC: P Winter, M Rawton and S Winter 37-15, A Sayer, M Riches and R Parker 17-22m L Hills,N Blyth and I Whiley 23-20.
The finals of this season's NCBA and NCWBA Indoor County Championships will be played on Sunday March 10, at Roundwood.
You may also want to watch:
Schedule: 9.30am: Men's Rinks. A Dunton, R Parker and J Howlett v D Toyn, J Tuddenham and R Greef. Ladies' Rinks: A Sumpter, S Stacey and J Kirby v L Bennett, M Haylett and E Cole. Under 25 Singles Semi-Finals: D Seabourne v M Sparrow. J Groves v T Cooper. 11.30-12.00: Mixed Pairs: B Toyn and H Rix v B Sadler and L Blake, Ladies' 4 bowl Senior Singles: P Rolph v M Haylett. Men's 4 Bowl Singles: N Blyth v I Wones. Under 25 singles final. 2.00pm: Mixed Rinks: P Rolph, R Greef and B Toyn v B Meeks, R Parker and D Goodley, Ladies 4 Bowl Singles: M Haylett v L Knights. Ladies' Pairs: L Blake and C Neave v M Auld and G Reeve. Men's Pairs: C Blake and I Wones v D Toyn and J Tuddenham. Men's Senior 4 Bowl Singles: B Sadler v A Manson.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 3 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 6 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 7 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 8 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift