Ilford 1, Wroxham 3
Ecstasy was followed by agony for Matt Daniels on Saturday as he struck twice to earn Wroxham all three points at struggling Ilford, before leaving the fray with a fractured hand.
Wroxham handed debuts to ,on-loan Norwich City goalkeeper Remi Matthews and former King's Lynn player Jamie Forshaw.
On a difficult playing surface, the Yachtsmen had taken a 21st minute lead when Ross Durrant's drive flew into the net.
Wroxham made a tactical change, pushing Daniels into a more advanced position, and it paid off handsomely as he added a second on 35 minutes, before slamming home a volley in the 65th minute.
Ilford pulled one back with a long range effort, but Wroxham – who face Heybridge Swifts at Trafford Park tomorrow night – were never in danger of letting their advantage slip.
You may also want to watch:
Yachtsmen boss David Batch said: 'The first half was very comfortable and we didn't have to defend our box on any occasions at all.
'In the second half Ilford reacted, but we said the next goal is important and we managed to get it, which effectively won us the match.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
'The downside is a fractured hand which caused Matty Daniels to exit the game and he will now miss a couple of games at least.'