Ian Tims retains grip on sailing’s Dolle Cup with treble top
Thirty four YBODs entered NBYC's second Open of the year, contesting the Dolle Cup on a weekend which at least did not equal the recent trend for windy Saturdays, although Saturday's south easterly produced massive shifts.
Richard Dugdale took the first race from the Ian Tims team comprising Peter Reeve and Ian's daughter Laura, but thereafter it was Tims all the way as he underlined his five-year hold on the Dolle Cup with three wins. Yet again his nearest rivals were Chris Bunn and Nikki Tansley, but it wasn't their weekend as they could only manage two fourths on Saturday, and were handicapped in Sunday's first race by being massively over the line, following which they pulled through the fleet to take second gun.
Paul Carrington had a selection of crews, wife Kath, joined by regular crew April Jennings for the second race, and, on Sunday his sister Sarah Davies, and their third and second sufficed to put them into third spot. Matt Ellis and George Williams did their best to emulate their boat's former owner (Mike Evans) but had only a second race second to show for it, while Paul Howes, despite a third gun, fell away in Sunday's lighter airs.
Despite the unfavourable forecast, eight Punts turned out for their Open meeting on Barton Broad, the fleet comprising three Morrisons, three Hard Chines and two Traditional designs.
Saturday's strong southerlies, gusting to Force 4 or more, saw Simon and Rachel Clayton win the first race, but the second went to Mark Elson and Howard Bolton. A testing third race produced a second win for the Claytons from a depleted fleet.
You may also want to watch:
Six survivors joined battle for two close races on Sunday, won by Brian Wilkins and Chris Tuckett. Mike Griffin (White Eagle) perforce retired with a torn mainsail leaving Wilkins and Clayton level on points, the former taking the honours thanks to his second win of the day.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us