Ian Harrison fires Downham to second round of Bob Carter Cup
Ian Harrison took the role of destroyer in chief as Downham became one of only three sides to book their place in the second round of the Bob Carter Cup.
Opening bowler Harrison took seven wickets for 21 to help his side to victory on run rate in a one-sided, rain-affected match at Dereham.
Hethersett & Tas Valley and Garboldisham were the other clubs to progress, with five first round ties postponed because of bad weather.
Put into bat, Downham made 262 all out in 59 overs with opener Alex Stuart making 81 and Addam Todd 50. James Harbour took four for 35 for the hosts. In reply, Dereham were reduced to 54-for-eight in 22 overs, with most of the damage inflicted by Harrison in his 11 overs unchanged. There were six ducks.
Hethersett & Tas Valley enjoyed a five-wicket victory at Mundford. Winning the toss, they bowled out the home side for 162, David Austin taking four for 34 and Alex Bailey making top score of 39.
John Curtis was Hethersett's main contributor with 37 as they reached 165 for five in 30.3 overs, Bailey taking three for 33.
Garboldisham won by seven wickets as they dismissed Martham for just 74 and made 75 for three in reply.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 4 Teenage girls in hospital after unprovoked mob attack
- 5 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 6 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 7 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 8 Critics hope to deal significant blow to controversial NDR Western Link
- 9 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 10 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
The five remaining first round ties, to be played on Sunday, May 20, are Bradenham v Sprowston, Fakenham v Old Buckenham, Ashmanhaugh & Barton Wanderers v Beccles, Hardingham v Swaffham and Bungay v Diss.
The draw for the second round will be broadcast on BBC Radio Norfolk tonight between 6.30pm and 7pm. Clubs are reminded that they should submit their Carter Cup results to competition chairman Graham Richardson on 07778 890243.