Iain Martell planning to put on a show against Shaun Lomas at Contenders 15 Norwich
- Credit: Jerry Daws/stillfocused
Iain Martell has vowed to put on a show for his home fans when he returns to mixed martial arts at Contenders Norwich 15 tomorrow night.
Light-heavyweight Martell faces 250-fight veteran Shaun Lomas in the main event of the show at the Norfolk Showground, which will be his first MMA fight in almost three years.
Regardless, the heavy-handed Norwich fighter (11-1) promised fans he'd return with a bang after weighing in today.
'I'm excited to be here and looking forward to making my return to MMA, and putting on a good show,' he said. 'Training's been fantastic, I'm in great condition so now it's on to tomorrow and having some fun.'
He added: 'I've got the upmost respect for Shaun and can't take him lightly – I'm looking forward to the challenge.
You may also want to watch:
'It's good to be back in MMA – I've matured as a fighter and as a person and I can't wait to show that tomorrow.'
Lomas, who will have a vast experience advantage in the cage, has faced some of the top talents in British MMA including the likes of UFC star Jimi Manuwa and feared KO artist Paul Daley.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 7 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
And he's confident that he can upset the hometown favourite tomorrow, in front of more than 1,000 fans.
'I know he's got really good stand-up but I'm a lot better than him on the ground, and I'm a better Thai boxer,' he said.
'It's nothing that I've not seen before. I'll be fine stood up and, if it goes to the ground then great.
'It's going to be a very exciting fight.'
The card also features rising Thetford talent Andre Goncalves, who faces Aaron Khalid in his third pro lightweight dust-up.
'I know he's tall and will have a reach advantage, but that's the only advantage he'll have,' said the confident Goncalves.
'I know what I have to do. I'm bringing action and a lot of sexiness - tomorrow I will put on a show.'
Wisbech prospect Jay Cuccinello also fights for the Contenders bantamweight title against Declan Williams in what is a potential fight of the night contender.
- Tickets are still available for the event, starting from £30. Call 07983 334603 or log on to www.contendersea.com until 11pm tonight. Tickets will also be sold on the door tomorrow.