Iain Martell planning to put on a show against Shaun Lomas at Contenders 15 Norwich
- Credit: Jerry Daws/stillfocused
Iain Martell has vowed to put on a show for his home fans when he returns to mixed martial arts at Contenders Norwich 15 tomorrow night.
Light-heavyweight Martell faces 250-fight veteran Shaun Lomas in the main event of the show at the Norfolk Showground, which will be his first MMA fight in almost three years.
Regardless, the heavy-handed Norwich fighter (11-1) promised fans he'd return with a bang after weighing in today.
'I'm excited to be here and looking forward to making my return to MMA, and putting on a good show,' he said. 'Training's been fantastic, I'm in great condition so now it's on to tomorrow and having some fun.'
He added: 'I've got the upmost respect for Shaun and can't take him lightly – I'm looking forward to the challenge.
You may also want to watch:
'It's good to be back in MMA – I've matured as a fighter and as a person and I can't wait to show that tomorrow.'
Lomas, who will have a vast experience advantage in the cage, has faced some of the top talents in British MMA including the likes of UFC star Jimi Manuwa and feared KO artist Paul Daley.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 3 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 6 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 7 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
And he's confident that he can upset the hometown favourite tomorrow, in front of more than 1,000 fans.
'I know he's got really good stand-up but I'm a lot better than him on the ground, and I'm a better Thai boxer,' he said.
'It's nothing that I've not seen before. I'll be fine stood up and, if it goes to the ground then great.
'It's going to be a very exciting fight.'
The card also features rising Thetford talent Andre Goncalves, who faces Aaron Khalid in his third pro lightweight dust-up.
'I know he's tall and will have a reach advantage, but that's the only advantage he'll have,' said the confident Goncalves.
'I know what I have to do. I'm bringing action and a lot of sexiness - tomorrow I will put on a show.'
Wisbech prospect Jay Cuccinello also fights for the Contenders bantamweight title against Declan Williams in what is a potential fight of the night contender.
- Tickets are still available for the event, starting from £30. Call 07983 334603 or log on to www.contendersea.com until 11pm tonight. Tickets will also be sold on the door tomorrow.