Hunt for new boss starts as Grant quits
Norwich City boss Peter Grant last night left the club by mutual consent. Grant agreed to step down with immediate effect following lengthy discussions with the club's hierarchy in the wake of Monday's abject Championship defeat at QPR.
Norwich City boss Peter Grant last night left the club by mutual consent.
Grant agreed to step down with immediate effect following lengthy discussions with the club's hierarchy in the wake of Monday's abject Championship defeat at QPR.
Assistant boss Jim Duffy will take charge of first team affairs while the Canaries begin their search for Grant's permanent successor.
High profile duo Mike Newell and Neil Warnock were among the early names touted as Grant's possible successor while Dion Dublin has also been linked with the role in the short term. Birmingham boss and former Canary stalwart Steve Bruce was also a keen spectator at Loftus Road.
“It was a very, very difficult decision for us to make but it was right for myself and the club going forward,” said Grant. “The most important things for me has always been the supporters and the club itself. They are the two constants while managers and players come and go.
“Unfortunately for me I feel that the balls haven't bounced the right way over the last 12 months. I have had fantastic support from the board from minute one right up until the time of leaving, but we are in a results-driven business and I don't like being second best at anything.
- 1 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 4 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 5 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 6 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 7 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 8 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 9 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
- 10 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
“I would like to thank everyone for the support they have given me through a turbulent 12 months and it goes without saying that I wish nothing but success for Norwich City football club now and forever.”
Club chairman Roger Munby confirmed City had reached a financial agreement with Grant to terminate his original three and half year contract.
“We had a long discussion with Peter after the QPR game,” revealed Munby. “Peter said that he felt that he had been supported by the club in everything that he had tried to do at Carrow Road and therefore owed it to the board to be honest with himself and with us about whether he could turn things round.
“We would like to express our heartfelt best wishes to Peter and his family and wish him and them every success for the future.”
Grant had hinted he was ready to end his year long Carrow Road stint in a frank post-match press conference at Loftus Road on Monday night.
The Scot denied he had lost the dressing room support of his players but City's travelling fans clearly made their feelings known at the final whistle.
City's fourth straight away defeat at QPR left the club firmly mired in the Championship relegation zone and stretched their recent goal drought to a club record equalling six matches.
Grant won just 18 of his 54 matches in charge after being named as Nigel Worthington's replacement last October.