Hunny stars in last four
Chris BishopWEST & THE FENS: A young squad from a town more renowned for sea than match fishing have earned their place in the semi-finals of a prestigious national knock-out competition.Chris Bishop
A young squad from a town more renowned for sea than match fishing have earned their place in the semi-finals of a prestigious national knock-out competition.
Hunstanton Tackle have four juniors in their eight-strong Angling Times Supercup squad.
But when they took on last year's finalists Dersingham Blue and tough opposition from the likes of Norwich Union on a difficult day at Head Fen, near Ely, the seasiders went sailing into the lead.
Rain, wind and low temperatures didn't make for ideal conditions. But Jimmy Brooks, 17, took individual honours with a hard-earned 30lb, while 13-year-old Tommy Pepper came in third overall. Hunny also scored an impressive four section wins to book their spot in the semi-finals at Moorlands Farm, Worcs, on June 5.
Springside's summer season of evening matches kicked off last Tuesday, with 16 anglers taking part in the three-hour contest.
Rob Pepper fished pole at 9m to win with 32lb 6oz of bream from Peg 8. Danny Sayers used method feeder to weigh in 24lb 2oz of tench and carp for second from Peg 23, while Toby Pepper gave him a run for his money, coming third with 21lbs 14oz of bream and carp.
- 1 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 2 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 3 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 4 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 5 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 6 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 7 How much will Great Yarmouth's new Marina Centre cost?
- 8 Norfolk's landmark vote to curb second homes
- 9 Redundancy leads to Norfolk mum earning up to £3,000 a month
- 10 Roadworks and closures to be aware of in Norfolk this week
Sonu groundbait seems to be a common factor in both first and second-placed catches, with pellet or corn the favoured hookbait.
Pleasure weights remain consistent, with tench in the 5-6lb bracket starting to show.
Matches are held each Tuesday evening, draw 4.30pm, fish 5.30 - 8.30pm call Hunstanton Tackle on 01485 535141 to book.