Huge shadow is cast over Round Norfolk Relay event
- Credit: Archant
Cambridge and Coleridge convincingly won the 197-mile Birketts Round Norfolk Relay which was overshadowed by the death of a competitor.
Their total time over the 17 stages of 19 hours, 56 minutes and 16 seconds was nearly an hour quicker than Ely (20.52.56) and third-placed Norfolk Beach Runners. They also picked up seven stage victories and their B team a further three of the 34 male/female awards on offer across the weekend.
But sadly the event, which started at Lynnsport in King's Lynn on Saturday morning, was less about celebration and more about mourning following the sad passing of Darryl Davis.
Fifty-four teams started the race from but City of Norwich elected to withdraw their three teams when sadly one of their runners collapsed and subsequently died towards the end of the fourth stage at Cley. Davis, 46, was an accomplished and experienced runner with CoNAC (masters) team.
The race was allowed to continue as officials received further information at the event's base at Lynn. He was attended to immediately by local paramedics, two ambulances and the air ambulance but their efforts were in vain.
You may also want to watch:
Race director Neville Knights said: 'The RNR (Round Norfolk Relay) committee considered halting the event but runners were spaced probably four hours apart and believed that Darryl would have wished this popular and enjoyable event to continue.
'Club captains were immediately made aware of the situation as was the club captain of CoNAC. He was also a member of Tri-Anglia, who were also running, and they elected to run in his memory.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
'The RNR committee wish to pass on their sympathy to his family, friends, CoNAC and Tri-Anglia teams.'
1 Results: 1 CACa 21:32:44, 2 Elya 21:48:36, 3 NNBa 21:59:00, 4 BED 21:29:33, 5 RYSa 22:30:00, 6 NRRb 22:30:00, 7 PAD 23:28:20, 8 WYMa 23:07:00, 9 NRRa 22:23:00, 10 MAR 23:43:38, 11 YAR 25:00:00, 12 FENa 24:35:00, 13 TRA 24:18:51, 14 COJ 23:54:41, 15 NGZ 23:57:00, 16 PAC 24:25:00, 17 CACb 25:38:12, 18 BUN 25:38:00, 19 SEP 24:59:24, 20 GCR 26:00:00
Results supplied by www.roundnorfolkrelay.com