Huge chance for Norwich boxer Nathan Dale
- Credit: Jerry Daws/stillfocused
Norwich's Nathan Dale will take another step towards joining his illustrious stable-mates after being given a chance at an English title.
The 25-year-old's perfect 20-0 has warned off many potential opponents, but Dale has now been pencilled in for a clash with Philip Bowes, in Norwich, on November 25. It's an eliminator for the English light-welterweight title – but trainer Graham Everett is hoping it will be upgraded to the full title fight.
Dale – who returned to action in May after more than a year out because of a hand injury – will spar regularly with Liam Walsh, former British super-featherweight champion and current world title contender, at Norwich's Kickstop Gym,
'This could be the breakthrough Nathan needs on the championship scene,' said Everett, who also trains British featherweight champion Ryan Walsh. 'This fight opens the door – he wins and he is in the British title reckoning, which is where he deserves to be.
'We want him to be challenging for the British title within nine months to a year, even earlier if we can. We are confident he is ready, which he has been for some time.
You may also want to watch:
'The English title is highly regarded by the British Boxing Board of Control and we are delighted to have it in Norwich. It is a genuine 50-50 fight – Bowes is 14-2 and has a points win over Paul Appleby – who had that great fight with Liam Walsh in 2011 – on his record.'
Mervyn Turner, who promotes the shows at Norwich venue The Halls, said: 'Nathan is now in the biggest domestic fight of his career against very tough opposition in the form of Philip Bowes who himself has had two title shots against top class opposition. Bowes will certainly feel he can upset the applecart in Nathan's back yard – likewise this is exactly the kind of fight Nathan has been asking for since his return.'
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named