Hornchurch 3, Lowestoft Town 0
Lowestoft Town's excellent run in the Ryman League Premier Division came to an end yesterday when they were beaten by the side just below them in the table.
The Blues made a bright start against their fellow promotion contenders, and gave a decent account of themselves throughout the game, but they could find no way past the Hornchurch defence and slipped to their first defeat in 10 matches.
They remain second in the table, still a point ahead of yesterday's opponents and just one behind leaders Billericay – who drew 1-1 at Bury – with two games in hand.
The Blues went close to taking the lead after just five minutes when Lubo Guentchev's corner caused panic in Hornchurch penalty area, with Sam Gaughran and Dale Cockrill both having efforts blocked on the line.
Andy Reynolds then rescued Lowestoft with an excellent save to deny Lewis Smith as he burst clear but he was beaten from the penalty spot on 26 minutes by Mark Tuohy after Smith had been brought down in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Lowestoft had a decent spell of play early in the second period but were knocked back on their heels on 63 minutes when Smith doubled Hornchurch's advantage with a shot which took a deflection before finding the back of the net.
The hosts went on to wrap up the three points after 76 minutes when Joe Anderson surged forward and unleashed a superb drive from 30 yards that gave Reynolds no chance.
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 5 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 6 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 7 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 8 13 cars targeted in tyre-slashing spree
- 9 City Council withdraws support for £153m Western Link
- 10 Coronavirus outbreak at construction company working on County Hall
• Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Mitchell, Smith, Fisk (Ainslie), Crane, Gaughran, Guentchev (Nolan), Cockrill, Frew, Forshaw (Francis), Henderson. Subs not used: Onuchukwu, Hodd.
• Attendance: 450.