Hornchurch 3, Lowestoft Town 0
Lowestoft Town's excellent run in the Ryman League Premier Division came to an end yesterday when they were beaten by the side just below them in the table.
The Blues made a bright start against their fellow promotion contenders, and gave a decent account of themselves throughout the game, but they could find no way past the Hornchurch defence and slipped to their first defeat in 10 matches.
They remain second in the table, still a point ahead of yesterday's opponents and just one behind leaders Billericay – who drew 1-1 at Bury – with two games in hand.
The Blues went close to taking the lead after just five minutes when Lubo Guentchev's corner caused panic in Hornchurch penalty area, with Sam Gaughran and Dale Cockrill both having efforts blocked on the line.
Andy Reynolds then rescued Lowestoft with an excellent save to deny Lewis Smith as he burst clear but he was beaten from the penalty spot on 26 minutes by Mark Tuohy after Smith had been brought down in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Lowestoft had a decent spell of play early in the second period but were knocked back on their heels on 63 minutes when Smith doubled Hornchurch's advantage with a shot which took a deflection before finding the back of the net.
The hosts went on to wrap up the three points after 76 minutes when Joe Anderson surged forward and unleashed a superb drive from 30 yards that gave Reynolds no chance.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 3 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 4 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 7 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 10 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
• Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Mitchell, Smith, Fisk (Ainslie), Crane, Gaughran, Guentchev (Nolan), Cockrill, Frew, Forshaw (Francis), Henderson. Subs not used: Onuchukwu, Hodd.
• Attendance: 450.