Honours even between Wisbech and March in FA Cup clash

Wisbech's trip to March Town attracted a stunning four-figure crowd on Saturday - and after a 1-1 draw there is the prospect of more to come in tomorrow night's replay.

The winners will join Wroxham and Gorleston in the first qualifying round.

Gorleston beat visiting Harlow Town 2-0, while Wroxham were 1-0 winners over Long Melford at Trafford Park.

Wroxham will have to wait until tomorrow night to discover their next opponents, after the Fen derby ended all square, Luke Pepper's curling free-kick earning a replay for the Hares after Liam Nimmo had given Wisbech the lead.

Wisbech boss Steve Appleby was unhappy with his side's performance.

'I'm at a loss with the lack of passion out there,' he said. 'You should love playing in front of 1,100 people, you should get a buzz from it. We looked as flat as anything.

Most Read

'I'm hoping it's just a one-off. Your adrenaline should be pumping for games like that, the hair should be stood up on the back of your neck and you should be running through brick walls to make things happen.

'We never got going, we were flat, there was no spark, no passion, no nothing.

'The consolation is that we're still in the cup and we'll go again on Tuesday.

'I want to see passion on Tuesday - I want a big reaction.

'We can't play like that again. I think both clubs are happy that they've got another bite at the cherry.

'I don't think we're ever going to get a footballing classic but you deserve a bit of passion and a bit of quality here and there.'

It was Paul Cook who secured Wroxham's place in the next round – and put a healthy �1,500 into the coffers at the same time.

'Up until the final third we looked really comfortable,' said Yachtsmen boss Dave Batch.

'We just lacked a little aggression and composure with the seven or so good chances we had, but overall we bossed the game.'

Cook was on target after just 15 minutes, Gary Gilmore's quick feet and pin-point delivery from the left his head and Cook guided the ball past the helpless Paul Wood in the Long Melford goal.

It was one-way traffic for most of the game, with Michael Hilton, in the Wroxham goal, largely redundant.

Cook should have doubled his tally just before the hour mark after Gilmore's ball from the left.

Liam Harvey-Cooper scored both goals as Gorleston progressed at the expense of Rymans League Harlow Town to earn a trip to Bury Town in the next round.

Gorleston went ahead on 26 minutes, after Ali McKenna was put clean through and, with just the keeper to beat, was fouled by defender Lemar Lemonius.

The defender was shown a yellow card and Harvey-Cooper stepped up to confidently dispatch the penalty into the net.

Harlow came back into the game, but the Greens doubled their lead on 59 minutes. Chris Sandford played a ball out to the right wing where Harvey-Cooper had space to cut into the box and crack a left-foot shot into the goal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter