Holt youngsters get a taste of international rugby limelight
Two Holt RFC juniors met the heroes they are dreaming of emulating when they joined Tom and Ben Youngs at England training this week.
They were among a group of under-12s invited to attend the training camp in Surrey.
Oliver Jaggard of North Elmham and Rob Mackenzie of Bessingham, who like the Youngs brothers have both started their rugby careers with Holt, were among 34 excited youngsters able to spend some time with their heroes in Bagshot.
'It was very exciting to meet Ben and Tom who used to play for the same club as us, and all the England players,' said Rob. 'It was a fantastic day out and I can't wait now for the South Africa game.'
The day was part of an RFU initiative aimed at strengthening the link between grass roots rugby and the elite game by offering clubs that supported the early careers of England squad players the chance to nominate a young player for a special treat. As Holt have two former juniors in the squad that allowed them to nominate two of their mini stars – who have an even greater treat ahead when they act as mascots for the clash with South Africa on November 24. If 'their' player makes the starting squad they will accompany him onto the field, if not they will attend the game as special guests for the day.
You may also want to watch:
Holt are being encouraged to celebrate the very real contribution they have made to the success of English rugby by screening the game in their clubhouse.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park