Holt smiling after winning first match
Holt 37, Newmarket 19: Promoted Holt opened their campaign in London 3NE with a comfortable win.
It was the visitors who opened the scoring after 15 minutes following a driving maul. This,however was shortlived as two minutes later Young made a break and fed Graham Ilsley, who ran in from the 10 metre line to score an equalising unconverted try.
Holt kept up the pressure and after 20 minutes Such scored a well taken try, increasing the lead to 10-5, only for Newmarket to reply with a converted try.
Holt were trailing 10-12 with half-time approaching, but matters were put right when Van Poortvliet scored from a driving maul and with Graham Ilsley adding the extras Holt enjoyed a half-time lead of 17-12.
Holt began the second half where they left off from the first and after three minutes, Ilsley scored his second try following a break through the centre. This was Holt's fourth try, earning them a bonus point.
You may also want to watch:
Despite this early setback, Newmarket showed they could be dangerous on the counter-attack and were rewarded with a converted try after 16 minutes to narrow Holt's lead to 22-19.
The next few minutes saw Holt's defence being put to the test, but it was equal to the occasion and held out. The game was then taken back into Newmarket's half and No 8 Justice scored from a five-metre scrum, increasing the lead to a healthier 27-19.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 4 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 5 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 6 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 7 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 8 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 9 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
- 10 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
This addition to Holt's try tally inspired them to dominate the final stages of the game and Ben Girling made a typical scrum half's break from a line-out to score a well taken try. Two minutes later, following some good interpassing between Such and Ilsley, the latter scored his third try of the match to seal a fine win for Holt and had more conversions been on target the margin would have been healthier.
Nevertheless this was a very good performance in their first league game at this level. Next Saturday, Holt make the short trip to play Norwich in what could be an intriguing game.
Holt's thirds team pulled off a commendable win against Lowestoft & Yarmouth's second team 29-22 in their Merit Table match.