Moment of magic from Jackson seals a hard-fought win for Holt
- Credit: Archant
Holt registered their 12th win of the season after seeing off Woodbridge in a hard-fought encounter.
The visitors pressurised their opposition from the kick-off, using the wind to good effect.
In possession, scrum-half Ben Girling and fly-half Tom Jackson were choosing their options intelligently, giving Holt good field position with the boot, and captain Ashley Woods marshalled his forwards at the set-pieces to achieve early dominance.
However, it took until the 23rd minute for Holt to register their first points of the game when, following a succession of scrums, Jeremy Seaman scored under the posts with a typically powerful drive for the line. The try was converted by fullback James Wyatt.
For the remainder of the half Holt continued to push for the next score but as the rain started to fall handling became more of a challenge and a number of opportunities were missed.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started very much as the first had ended, with Holt applying pressure and setting up good field position. Replacement flanker Toby Renwick made an immediate impact, applying good pressure in defence and claiming numerous loose balls to ensure Holt retained the lion's share of possession.
With Holt keen to turn pressure into points but not able to break Woodbridge down, frustration started to grow and the penalty count with it. One such award gave the home side a shot at goal from 25 metres out which they took to move the score on to 3-7.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
It looked as though a touch of magic might be needed to spark the game back into life and Jackson was happy to provide it.
With the Woodbridge backs attacking with the ball in hand from the halfway line, Jackson anticipated a pass and intercepted the ball to run in Holt's winning try, with replacement centre Geoff Flather supporting all the way.
The conversion was a formality and Holt were in a commanding lead which they held on to with few alarms.
The man-of-the-match award went to scrum-half Ben Girling, who recently returned to the club having already played over 100 matches at first team level for the club.