Holt made to work hard for their win by battling Wymondham

Norwich Union celebrate as Michael Shucksmith scores his side's third try against Beccles. Picture:

Norwich Union celebrate as Michael Shucksmith scores his side's third try against Beccles. Picture: Pamela Clarke - Credit: Archant

Holt moved up to third place with a victory by four tries to two over a Wymondham side who gave a good account of themselves after a change of coach.

Morning rain made the conditions difficult for the players but an entertaining game ensued.

Holt started confidently and within five minutes their experienced centre Gareth May crashed over for a try converted by full back James Wyatt.

Wymondham, who had parted company with coach Dave Howard earlier in the week, responded with a period of controlled possession and were rewarded with a penalty converted by fly-half Tom Poole.

Half an hour into the game May suffered a knee injury and was replaced by Tom Jackson. The rest of the first half was very even and ended 3-7, which was probably a fair reflection of the game at that stage.

You may also want to watch:

Holt started the second half strongly and soon increased their lead when captain Ashley Woods followed up a hack through to touch down to make it 3-12.

Wymondham were determined not to let the game slip away however and responded with some slick handling by their backs who were well served by their elusive scrum-half Auden Airdrie. This enabled Josh Cousens to outpace the Holt defence for a try which made it 8-12.

Most Read

As the game entered the final quarter Holt pulled away with two unconverted tries.

The first came when scrum-half Bruce van Poortvliet broke from the back of a scrum close to the line and then Jimmy Goodliffe made a good break to put away Henry Flower to score in the corner, stretching the visitors' advantage to 8-22.

Wymondham, with assistant coach Tom Armes on the touchline, did not give up and Cousens scored his second try to complete the scoring. The Woodfordes man-of-the-match for Holt was Jim Seaman.

Lowestoft and Yarmouth put the previous week's concession at Holt behind them when they got back to the business of playing rugby at Gunton Park. It was another defeat, but by no means a humiliation as they were beaten 32-5 by Woodbridge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter