Holt 44, West Norfolk 0

Holt recorded their second win over West Norfolk in the space of eight days to stay in the hunt for promotion from the Eastern Counties League – and end the hopes of their local rivals.

They recorded a narrow victory at Gatehouse Lane last week and followed that up with a comprehensive success at High Kelling to set up an intriguing home clash with champions Stowmarket on Saturday.

That is an encounter Holt must win to ensure a second place finish at the expense of Cantabrigians, who have a game in hand, and make the play-off for promotion against Millwall, who are second in Essex One.

West Norfolk now look set to finish a season that promised so much in fourth position after suffering a fourth consecutive league defeat at the weekend

Holt played the return league match as their original Junior Vase match against Old Walcountians had been awarded to them. West had to play the game just three days after bowing out of the Norfolk Senior Cup at the hands of North Walsham

Holt played with the breeze from the start and soon put their opponents under pressure, being rewarded with a try by Hill after four minutes, with Allen converting.

West Norfolk responded with a counter-attack which was cleared and the home side resumed their positive attacking play and stretched their lead after 21 minutes when Graham Ilsley finished off a good move to score. Allen was on target with the conversion, moving the score on to 14-0.

Most Read

Holt were hungry for further scores and Jarry-Ryan obliged two minutes later, finishing off another good move, with Allen again converting.

The hosts were still putting pressure on West Norfolk and after 30 minutes, prop Daniels added his name to the scorers with an unconverted try, making the score a healthy 26-0 with a bonus point in the bag with half-time approaching. At the break Holt had reason to be pleased with their performance featuring plenty of positive rugby.

The second half started with an early attack by Holt and Robson was quickly on to a kick ahead to score an unconverted try after three minutes.

The game was being dictated by Holt and after nine minutes Allen kicked a penalty. There was then a lull in the scoring until Wright scored a try, converted by Allen, to bring the score to 41-0.

While West Norfolk were trying to get into the game they were up against a determined side, who were not giving much away, and another penalty was kicked by Allen after 31 minutes to complete the scoring.

The game became rather scrappy in the closing stages, and towards the end a Holt player was sinbinned, but it made no difference to the final score line.