Holt 34, Enfield Ignatians 20


rugby - Credit: Archant

Holt hit back from 20-10 down to get back to winning ways with a hard-fought success. There were plenty of positives to take from the game, even though the margin of victory probably flattered the hosts.

Holt started with a slight breeze in their favour and, following a quick tap and go from van Poortvliet, were were awarded a penalty in front of Enfield's posts for not retreating which was converted by Jackson.

A player from each side then received a yellow card and the visitors came to terms with having 14 players sooner.

They drove up the middle and, following a succession of missed tackles, scored a converted try under the posts.

Once the teams were back to full strength Holt used their forward pack to drive into Enfield and were awarded a penalty. They opted for a scrum and drove over their line and were awarded a penalty try after Enfield collapsed the scrum, which was converted by Jackson. Half-time arrived with Holt leading 10-7.

In the second half Enfield threw everything at Holt and were awarded a converted penalty, bringing the scores all square. This spurred Enfield to launch further attacks and, following a series of missed tackles, they scored a converted try.

Holt now began to make changes with Daniels, Justice and Harvey coming on from the bench. With no time to settle, Enfield again were awarded a penalty in front of the posts for not rolling away, taking the score to 10-20. For the sizeable crowd it appeared Holt were going to repeat the mistakes of last week and give up on their game plan.

Most Read

With 30 minutes left Holt launched a counter-attack. Following drives from Hill and Justice, van Poortvliet picked and ran at Enfield, allowing Harvey to throw a miss-pass which put Jackson over for a converted try.

After a brief period where Enfield attacked, Holt stole a line-out ball on their own 22, the forwards drove the ball to the half way line where van Poortvliet passed to man-of-the-match Jarry-Ryan to run 50 metres and score another converted try, giving Holt a 24-20 lead. The home team now began to play the rugby that was such a feature a few weeks back. Following a penalty from another collapsed scrum, they opted for a line-out on the five metre line, which was taken by Woods at the back and resulted in a push-over, bonus point, try scored by Wright.

With five minutes to go Holt again took the attack to Enfield. The ball was moved from left to right before Cole went crashing through for his side's fifth try of the match.

On Saturday Holt travel to Basildon.

Holt III lost their unbeaten record to a very good UEA side.