Holt 14, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 10

James Riley sets a late Holt attack moving against Lowestoft and Yarmouth.

James Riley sets a late Holt attack moving against Lowestoft and Yarmouth. - Credit: Archant

Holt put last week's heavy London 3NE defeat at Braintree behind them as they completed the double over old rivals Lowestoft and Yarmouth.

L&Y were looking to gain revenge for a 20-10 home defeat back in October against a side who started the day four places above them in the table.

Holt made the early running and turned defence into attack with a swift counter-attack that saw Jackson score a well taken try after some juggling to keep control. He also added the conversion to put his side 7-0 ahead after five minutes.

The visitors then settled down to test Holt's defence by keeping play mostly at the wrong end of the pitch as far as the home side were concerned. Holt did go close, but were penalised at a five metre scrum when they had the put in and were looking to increase their lead.

The visitors were testing Holt's defence for long periods but were unable to make the breakthrough. Holt did have a let off when a penalty kick was off target after 36 minutes and they finished the half by breaking out of defence to reach the break by keeping their slender lead intact against a determined side.

The new half started with Holt on the offensive but they spoilt any chance of a score by conceding a penalty and then found themselves back on defence. The visitors had another penalty chance to narrow the lead but again the kick was off target. Holt then attacked, but through slack passing, L & Y were quickly on to it with an interception to race up field for Myles McAlone to score under the posts, making the conversion a formality for DaveTiueti to level the scores at 7-7 after 17 minutes.

This prompted Holt to attack again and they missed a penalty chance before L&Y again took play into their half and were awarded a penalty for not releasing. This time there was no let off for the home side, as Tiueti's kick was successful, giving the visitors a 7-10 lead with half of the half goneon the hour mark.

Most Read

Holt were awarded another penalty which again was off target when perhaps it might have been wiser to have kicked to the corner. With time ticking away and despite making very effort to break down L&Y's defence it was beginning to look rather bleak. However providence came to Holt's aid with three minutes remaining when L & Y were awarded a penalty, which was kicked goal wards, only for the ball to fall short.

Van Poortvliet caught it and immediately started a counter attack in front of his posts. The ball passed through several pairs of hands as Holt swept down the field for Jackson to administer the coup de grace by scoring under the posts. Young was equal to the occasion with conversion to restore the hosts' lead at 14-10 with two minutes remaining. This provided a nailbiting finale with L& Y doing everything in their power to claw the match back, but Holt defended for all they were worth and finally won possession to kick the ball into touch to end a very close contest against a side who gave their all and had to make do with a losing bonus point.

The win kept Holt in fifth place in the league, having won ten and lost five. On Saturday they hit the road again, this time to North London to play Enfield Ignatians, who are seventh in the league.