History-making speedway teen Lewis Whitmore lands bronze medal in British junior championship
- Credit: Archant
Talented King's Lynn prospect Lewis Whitmore grabbed bronze during his first British Under-16 championship campaign.
After making the move up from 250cc – which he won last year – to 500cc, the Springwood High School student was the youngest competitor to ever enter the event when he competed in the first two rounds at Scunthorpe and Eastbourne before his 14th birthday.
During the six-round series the Norwich-based British superbike Morello Racing team rider made five finals and achieved four top-three finishes.
His best result came at Eastbourne where he finished runner-up, aged just 13.
His father Jason said: 'Lewis is a young boy riding a man's bike and he should be proud of his achievements this year, as am I.
You may also want to watch:
'We both found it tough going moving up to the 500cc so early as the bike set-ups are very different and the racing is a lot tougher. Morello Racing owner Steve Buckenham has been fantastic in terms of supporting Lewis financially and in terms of his wealth of racing knowledge.'
The 14-year-old is now embarking on a winter training programme as he prepares to try and go two better and win the gold next season as well as joining a National League team when he turns 15 in May.
- 1 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 2 'Feel the magic of Christmas and forget COVID' - hotel opens winter wonderland
- 3 Plans to turn village's last pub into house rejected
- 4 New facilities open up Norwich river for paddle boards and canoes
- 5 Magpies chair praises "Norfolk community spirit" amid continuing hardship
- 6 Five things you need to lead the way in 2020
- 7 How Norfolk coupon queen's new bargain bible could help you save
- 8 ‘It was my life’ - Lollipop lady retires after 45 years serving village school
- 9 Hunt for witnesses after 10 vandals target bike shelter
- 10 Brexit Blog: Brexit means changes to the rules on VAT – and that means more admin and confusion