Hickling sailor Georgina Povall gets boost to Olympic aims
Norfolk sailor Georgina Povall has been fast tracked as a future British Olympian.
The 16-year-old Norwich High School for Girls pupil will receive a �1,000 grant towards training and competing after the Hickling Sailing Club member was chosen as one of only 262 up-and-coming athletes from England and Wales to be part of the Local Heroes sport initiative.
They all attended a star-studded launch at Loughborough University alongside Olympic triple jump champion and world record holder Jonathan Edwards.
Povall said: 'The scheme is a great help financially because sailing can be a really expensive sport. I've just moved up to the laser radial and I want to do that at the World Youth Championships this year, which are in La Rochelle in July.
'I've been there before but I was doing a different event and so in this one I will be racing against sailors that have been doing the sport for a lot longer and most will be a little bit older than me.
You may also want to watch:
'The Olympics is going to be fantastic and I'd love to go down and watch. Ben Ainslie has been a great sailor over the years and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.
'I'd like to go to the Olympics one day but it's still a long way off. Maybe Rio 2016 or the 2020 Olympics. I know I have time on my side.'
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 5 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 6 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 10 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
The Local Heroes initiative is designed to ensure more talent reaches the top of their sport.
Edwards added: 'Being at the workshops and seeing the athletes was incredible. They were really exciting to meet because they are really passionate about what they do and you do just think that people like Georgina are the talented future without doubt.'
• For more information on Lloyds TSB's Local Heroes, in partnership with SportsAid, visit www.lloydstsb.com/localheroes