Bob Suggitt takes the honours at Solo Open event at Hickling
- Credit: Archant
Saturday saw an exciting Solo Open at Hickling Broad Sailing Club.
The event attracted 16 entries and was won by Bob Suggitt of Barnt Green SC near Birmingham; second was Giles Bradford and the club's own member Mac Powell came third.
Sunday dawned grey but still quite bright and with an encouraging and typical Hickling breeze that only got stronger as the day passed.
A very good fleet of 19 boats took to the water for a windward start to turn five, then onto the main part of the broad. Helms returned after three quick laps very happy with the conditions. John Parker's Punt won both on the water and after handicap with Mac Powell second and Robert Hawkins third, both in Solos. The second race was even better and with 20 boats, this time Mac Powell was able to stay closer to Jane Pye's Punt to win with Pye second and the Laser of Ben Rickards third.
It was very encouraging to see five club juniors: Will Symonds, Benji Jefferies, Emily Haslam and Rose Ling all in Lasers gain places and Elizabeth Whitefoot in a Mirror take 13th place in the second race. Best junior performance of the day was also in the second race where Will Symonds managed a sixth place.
You may also want to watch:
The two afternoon races were started on the broad and run back to back. Slightly fewer boats took part as the sun broke through and the wind increased to a stiff breeze. James Savage won race three with the Solos of Mac Powell and Phil Atherton following. The fourth race went to Mac Powell again, Mike Gower's Solution second and Chris Barker's Solo third.
Next Saturday is a Punt open with club racing on Sunday.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 6 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 7 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 8 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town