Hero Holmes helps Blofield go top after five-star show
Blofield United and Mattishall both hit five goals to jump into the top two slots in the Anglian Combination Premier Division.
With morning joint leaders Acle and Loddon in Norfolk Senior Cup action, top spot was up for grabs – and a hat-trick from Chris Holmes against Beccles ensured Blofield took full advantage.
Also among the goals for United were Colin Wines and Stuart Rushbrook, while Damon Bensley and Anthony Martin replied for Beccles.
Mattishall also had a hat-trick hero, Christian Harbour, with Gary Harbour adding the other two goals in a 5-2 win at Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves. Wayne Twomlow and Oliver Winram were on target for the hosts.
Cromer Town moved level on points with the clutch of four clubs below the new leaders as they beat Norwich St Johns 2-0 with goals from Matthew Eves and John Curtis.
Holt United pulled off the only surprise result of the Norfolk Senior Cup second round as the Division One side won 2-1 at the Premier Division's bottom side North Walsham.
Daniel Barnes and Harry Maddison saw Acle safely through against Sheringham and Loddon defeated Hellesdon 2-1.
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 4 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 5 Woman stabbed in neck and arm in city park
- 6 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 7 Come and meet the animals you could adopt at RSPCA open day
- 8 Thieves run off with alcohol worth nearly £5,000 from Tesco
- 9 New 250-space car park could be created near picturesque Norfolk harbour
- 10 Mum's warning after children almost stung by jellyfish
Iain Mills struck twice and Adam Willis also netted as Hempnall defeated Watton 3-1, with Xavier Huckle scoring for Watton.
Spixworth's 5-0 triumph over Wells included a double for Jason Armes and other goals from Devin Blundell, Jody Cork and Danny Brown.
Robert Browne scored the only goal of the game to send Wymondham through at the expense of Reepham and St Andrews recorded a 1-0 win at home to Horsford.
The tie between Bradenham Wanderers and Dersingham Rovers was abandoned after 20 minutes with the score at 0-0 when Dersingham player Nicky Bunting fell awkwardly and suffered a nasty wrist injury.
An ambulance was called and the referee eventually took the decision to abandon the game, with the replay this Saturday.
In Division One, Brandon Town moved top with a 4-2 victory against Hindringham.
Luke Slater's brace handed Corton a 2-1 win over Long Stratton to lift them to second. Jonathan King scored for Stratton.
Alistair Shearer bagged both goals in Poringland Wanderers' 2-1 win at Norwich-CEYMS, with Matthew Smith on target for the hosts.
Sprowston Atheltic had Major Thornton to thank for both goals in a 2-1 win at home to Stalham, David Dockerty netting the visitors' reply.