Henry Saddleton making a name for himself on the golf course – and he’s only five!
- Credit: Archant
Henry Saddleton has only just started school – but his golfing education is already in full swing.
The five-year-old from Hellesdon, who first picked up a club as a toddler, is now competing in national events and becoming a force to be reckoned with in his age group.
In his first event on the British Junior Golf Tour in Cambridge he came second and won the closest to the pin competition in the six-and-under category while there was more success in the IMG World Championship qualifier at Park Hill in Leicestershire. It was the youngster's first 18-hole tournament and he finished third after giving the eventual winner, who had more experience, a good run for his money.
The Arden Grove Junior School pupil and his sister Darcy, who attends Firside Junior, then competed in the European Junior Tour event at Bawburgh. Henry shot two under par on the modified nine hole course to win the five-and-under section while Darcy came third in the seven-to-eights.
Henry is following in the footsteps of his dad Aaron, a member at Marriott Sprowston Manor, where his children are being coached by professional Chase Davis.
You may also want to watch:
Obviously these are early days for Saddleton junior – but his mum Kelly is proud of the progress he is making and will be doing all she can to ensure he fulfils his potential.
'Henry just loves the game, it's as simple as that,' said Kelly. 'He took to it from a very early age and just seems to have a natural talent for it.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 7 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 8 Former village pub for sale as home
- 9 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 10 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
'He is still very young of course but he just strikes the ball so cleanly and he can already hit it over 100 yards, He loves playing in the competitions and despite being one of the youngest players has already had some success. It's exciting for Henry, and it's exciting for us too, and we all hope he can maintain his progress.'
The Saddletons have provided a little help of their own by installing some practice facilities in the back garden of their home in Hellesdon.
'We recently had a putting green put in at home by Artificial Grass Norwich for Henry to practise. He was out there early the other morning with his putter, so hopefully that side of his game will develop as well.'