Hat-tricks for Wright and Simo as Wymondham cruise to victory
- Credit: Archant
Wymondham got back to winning ways with a convincing victory at the league's bottom side, who remain on minus five points.
The game started fast and hard before sloppy defence was capitalised upon by young Charlie Delaney who produced four sidesteps to cross the line before kicking the extras himself.
Delaney then slotted over a penalty before the dominant Wymondham forwards forced another infringement and the ball was kicked to the corner for a line-out.
Possession was well claimed by Liam Browning and a driving maul forced the hosts back, with versatile second row Josh Wright breaking away and darting down an unmarked wing to score.
Wymondham were now in full flow and the next points came from flying Fijian centre Simo who crashed over under the sticks.
You may also want to watch:
With L&Y still putting in hits, they managed a score through poor defence but this was soon followed by carbon copy tries for Wymondham from Wright and Simo.
An error was forced for another L&Y score but with the backs and forwards linking well and turning over rucks, Wymondham were starting to look unstoppable and Welsh full back Jamie Hunter hit a gap to make a 15-yard dash for the line.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
Wymondham knew they had plenty more in the tank for the second half. The Red and Blacks had a line-out 10 metres from their try line and the rampaging forwards drove to the line for Wright to pick up his third try.
A lapse in concentration led to L&Y catching an interception to score but Wymondham then pulled away again, denying their hosts a bonus point in the process.
Fast forward play and decent support allowed Jamie Boggan to pick and go for a well earned try and Simo then showed impressive footwork to join the hat-trick club.
Wymondham had one last quick set of hands to put winger Auden Airdrie in to space five metres out for a score to put them in good heart for Saturday's derby match against Crusaders at Little Melton.
Crusaders went down 24-15 at Wisbech on Saturday while Thetford lost a thrilling home game 32-28 against second-placed Stowmarket, who remain just one point behind leaders Southwold.