Hat-tricks for Wright and Simo as Wymondham cruise to victory
- Credit: Archant
Wymondham got back to winning ways with a convincing victory at the league's bottom side, who remain on minus five points.
The game started fast and hard before sloppy defence was capitalised upon by young Charlie Delaney who produced four sidesteps to cross the line before kicking the extras himself.
Delaney then slotted over a penalty before the dominant Wymondham forwards forced another infringement and the ball was kicked to the corner for a line-out.
Possession was well claimed by Liam Browning and a driving maul forced the hosts back, with versatile second row Josh Wright breaking away and darting down an unmarked wing to score.
Wymondham were now in full flow and the next points came from flying Fijian centre Simo who crashed over under the sticks.
With L&Y still putting in hits, they managed a score through poor defence but this was soon followed by carbon copy tries for Wymondham from Wright and Simo.
An error was forced for another L&Y score but with the backs and forwards linking well and turning over rucks, Wymondham were starting to look unstoppable and Welsh full back Jamie Hunter hit a gap to make a 15-yard dash for the line.
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 7 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 10 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
Wymondham knew they had plenty more in the tank for the second half. The Red and Blacks had a line-out 10 metres from their try line and the rampaging forwards drove to the line for Wright to pick up his third try.
A lapse in concentration led to L&Y catching an interception to score but Wymondham then pulled away again, denying their hosts a bonus point in the process.
Fast forward play and decent support allowed Jamie Boggan to pick and go for a well earned try and Simo then showed impressive footwork to join the hat-trick club.
Wymondham had one last quick set of hands to put winger Auden Airdrie in to space five metres out for a score to put them in good heart for Saturday's derby match against Crusaders at Little Melton.
Crusaders went down 24-15 at Wisbech on Saturday while Thetford lost a thrilling home game 32-28 against second-placed Stowmarket, who remain just one point behind leaders Southwold.