Hat-trick for Mitchell
Cantabrigian 6, Wymondham 54Wymondham began their league campaign with an emphatic away victory over newly promoted Cantabs. Conditions were perfect and having won the toss, the home side elected to kick off.
Cantabrigian 6, Wymondham 54
Wymondham began their league campaign with an emphatic away victory over newly promoted Cantabs.
Conditions were perfect and having won the toss, the home side elected to kick off. The Wymondham pack showed their intent from the outset, retaining possession for a full five minutes before powerful lock Shane Hickey drove over to score under the posts, allowing an easy conversion.
Five minutes later Wymondham were on the scoresheet again after talented Fijian centre Pena Sokia broke through the home defences and went on a mazy run.
He was eventually hauled down just short of the line, but centre partner Adrian Brand was on hand to barrel over for the second try. Nick Greenhall added the extras.
The home team were then awarded a penalty just outside the 22 metre line. The Cantabs fly-half stepped up and stroked the kick over to reduce the deficit.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 3 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 4 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 5 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 6 Norwich man in court over £3.5m whiskey theft
- 7 'Mishap' at historic hotel as van crashes into entrance wall
- 8 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 9 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 10 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
The revival was short-lived however, and soon Wymondham were on the attack. Chris Greenhall broke down the left wing and chipped the ball over the defence and prop Lee Summers won the race for the touchdown.
Towards the end of the half Wymondham were beginning to put a dominate pattern on the game and when winger Will Mitchell went over for a converted try the half-time score was brought to 3-28.
The Norfolk team retained their composure for most of the second half and added further tries through Chris Greenhall, Sokia, and Mitchell, who completed his hat-trick. Cantabs could only manage another penalty in reply and the final result was 6-54.
Wymondham 2nd team also recorded a convincing away win, beating Norwich 47-7, while the 3rd team went down 7-17 away at Crusaders.