Harry Weeds doubles up to claim honours at 2012 Hunstanton Lawn Tennis Tournament
Harry Weeds had a successful week at the 2012 Hunstanton Lawn Tennis Tournament, collecting the 18U Boys' Singles and the Men's Open Singles events on a rainy finals day.
Weeds beat Phillip Peters from Nottinghamshire in the blue riband Men's Open final in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1 to win the title for the first time.
In the 18U final, Weeds beat county team-mate and regular doubles partner Stephen Harlow 6-4, 6-1.
In the other main singles final, former Norfolk Ladies player Hollie Robinson recovered from a set down to defeat Paula Peters, sister of losing men's finalist Phillip.
Robinson had another title as she and partner A Loughlin rolled to victory in the Mixed Open Doubles final over Richard Cook and Ashleigh Frankish, 6-2, 6-1.
You may also want to watch:
Will Foster lost in the Boys' 16U Singles final to Northamptonshire's Arthur Eyles, but paired up with his conqueror to win the 16U Boys' Doubles against Mark Norman and Alex McCulloch.
Alex Havercroft and Kate Charnley reached the final of the 18U Mixed Doubles, but, despite a valiant effort, fell in three sets to Chris Pepper and Danielle Perry.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 5 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 6 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 7 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 10 Car catches fire after early morning crash
Full results and pictures from the tournament are at www.hunstantonlt.co.uk.
• There was Norfolk success at the 83rd Felixstowe Junior Open, with Regan Bessey and Ethan Terry among the singles winners.
Bessey won the 9U Boy's event after battling through a pair of three-set matches in the first two knockout rounds. After ousting top seed Adam Rudolph, Bessey went on to beat Thomas Drayton of Middlesex in the final 11-9, 7-5.
Terry emerged as 8U champion in the Boys' event after some tremendous performances in the knockout stage, including an epic 12-10 victory over Hugh Halfhide in the first round.
However, the final would be more comfortable as Terry beat Suffolk's Joshua Mumford 10-4 to claim the title.
The 12U Boy's Doubles event was also won by a Norfolk pair – Alex Watkinson and Laurie Ollerton with a championship tie-break win over Suffolk's Noah Cutting and Adam Levey.
Tom Hunter and Tom Fisher lost in the 16U Boy's Doubles final to James Ling and Toby Cutting from Suffolk while Hunter and Henry Patten fell in the 18U Doubles final to Rohan Abel and Robert Heaton from Suffolk and Essex respectively.