Harrow Borough 3, Lowestoft Town 3

Lowestoft fought back from 3-1 down to stretch their unbeaten run to 15 league games on Saturday.

The Blues made a terrible start at Harrow Borough as two goalkeeping errors contributed to them trailing 3-1 after just 26 minutes.

The hosts took the lead on seven minutes when, from a corner, Lowestoft keeper Andy Reynolds came to collect, but inexplicably dropped the ball into his own net.

Lowestoft immediately pushed for an equaliser and Jack Defty fired wide before Scott Mitchell also missed the target.

The visitors continued to apply pressure and drew level on 17 minutes. Following a good move, Lee Smith crossed for Defty to plant a header into the net from close range.

You may also want to watch:

Lowestoft looked confident, but they were again undone by a moment of madness at the back. Reynolds failed to claim a long ball forward, leaving Curtley Williams under pressure and when the ball was played across the face of goal, Shaun Lucien tapped in for a simple finish.

Harrow Borough added a third on 26 minutes when Williams conceded a foul just outside the area and received a yellow card. Lucien stepped up to hammer the resulting free-kick into the net and leave Lowestoft stunned.

Most Read

To their credit, the visitors regrouped and after Lee Smith's free-kick narrowly evaded everyone before falling just wide, they equalised on 34 minutes.

The Blues strung together several passes and worked an opening for Adam Smith to hit a volley with the outside of his foot, making it 3-2.

The Lowestoft defence had to be alert to deny the pacy Simeon Akinola, while at the other end Defty headed down for Chris Henderson, but his fierce shot was straight at the keeper.

Late in the first half Defty headed Greg Crane's cross into the net, but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Lowestoft piled on the pressure in the second half and another Crane delivery found Sam Gaughran, but he headed over the bar.

The visitors introduced Michael Frew, who had netted the winner against Ipswich Town in the midweek Suffolk Premier Cup victory, but Harrow Borough continued to defend obdurately.

Reynolds saved well from Lucien in a rare attack from the home side, before Lowestoft finally broke through with just over 10 minutes remaining.

The Blues forced a succession of corners and from one of them Adam Smith sent the ball over and as a group of players challenged for it, Paul Olima inadvertently headed into his own net.

As both sides chased a winner in the closing stages, it was Lowestoft who came closest. Crane pumped a free-kick from the halfway line into the box and Gaughran managed to make a good connection with the ball and send a fizzing shot inches past the post.

Lowestoft are away to eighth-placed Metropolitan Police on Wednesday.

• Harrow Borough: Fitzsimons, Barima, Jones, Williams, Leech, Peacock, Lucien, Wolleaston, Akinola (Bola 83), Sankoh (Olima 55), Ofosu-Hene (Berry 74). Sub not used: Burgess, Regis.

Goals: Reynolds (og, 7), Lucien (24, 26)

• Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Williams, Crane, Gaughran, A Smith, L Smith, Okay (Dawkin 89), Fisk, Mitchell, Henderson (Frew 62), Defty. Subs not used: Eagle, Benjamin, Gleeson.

Goals: Defty (17), A Smith (34), Olima (og, 79)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter