Holt rain on Diss parade to regain Harrison Cup

Man of the match Dan Jones in action for Norwich Union at Cottenham Renegades. Picture: Russ Clarke

Man of the match Dan Jones in action for Norwich Union at Cottenham Renegades. Picture: Russ Clarke - Credit: Archant

Holt regained the Harrison Cup, beating Diss 38-14 in a game of open, festival rugby which entertained the large crowd who had gathered despite the constant drizzle.

Diss opted to rest several of their first team squad which resulted in them rather misjudging the strength of Holt's young side which romped to victory by eight tries to two.

Diss were first to score with a try by Joe Kindleside converted by Matt Tree. Holt adapted well to the muddy conditions with their kick and chase tactics serving them well. Geoff Flather broke from deep within his own half and pinpointed a kick over the Diss defence for Alastair Hughes to collect and score. Tom Jackson converted, making the score 7-7.

Jackson then repeated the exercise and again Hughes was on hand to collect and score. The conversion attempt failed making the score 12-7 at half-time.

Immediately after the break Jackson intercepted to score and then convert his own try. Following this Holt dominated the rest of the game and further tries followed from Jackson and Hughes with Jackson again converting his own try.

You may also want to watch:

Diss responded with a try by Nick Garnham converted by Tree before Cabell-Manners increased Holt's lead with a try converted by Hughes making the score 38-14.

Holt did not let up and completed the scoring with two tries in the corner by Ollie Woodrow, neither converted.

Most Read

Norwich Union were 29-10 winners at Cottenham Renegades in a re-arranged fixture – taking them 11 points clear at the top of the Eastern Counties Plate.

The only score of the first half went to Union and came from veteran scrum-half Graham Hunt.

Renegades responded with a converted effort, before Daniel Norgate added a try and then full-back David Sheldon-Smilley scored in the corner, Adrien Marie-Francoise adding the extras to make it 17-7.

Renegades narrowed the lead by three, but Union's bonus point try came from Craig Dunbar, converted by Marie-Francoise. The gap was narrowed again before Dunbar powered over for his second of the game to complete the scoring.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus