Men’s hockey round-up: Harleston Magpies get campaign up and running
- Credit: Archant
Harleston Magpies hammered visitors Letchworth 5-0 to record their first win of the season in Premier A.
Magpies got off to a flying start, forcing the opposition back into their own half, and eventually got the goal they deserved when Dave Gilbert stepped up to convert a penalty stroke after Ollie Whiteman's shot from a penalty corner had hit a foot on the line.
The hosts improved after the break and their impressive play, combined with opposition tiring, led to numerous chances being created. James Gray scored twice, one of the goals being a penalty flick, while Gilbert doubled his tally with a tap-in and Pete Bale also got on the scoresheet as he smashed it into the far corner.
The win put Magpies in good heart for next weekend's derby against Ipswich at Shotford Heath.
Norwich City had a day to forget, going down 6-0 at Ipswich, and have picked up just one point from their opening three fixtures since promotion.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham made a long trip to East London in Premier B and returned home with something to show for their efforts in the shape of a 1-1 draw.
Norwich City's second team went down 2-0 at home to Potters Bar in Division 1, while Magpies II went down 4-1 at Old Southendian.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 5 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 8 Jack-knifed lorry shuts busy Norfolk road as police issue ice warning
- 9 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 10 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain
In Division 2NE Dereham II lost for the first time this season when they went down 3-1 at home to Cambridge Nomads, who took over top spot as a result.
Norwich Dragons finally got their season up and running when they saw off visitors Bourne Deeping II 4-0, thanks to two goals apiece from Rupert Snelling and Daumantas Matulevicius.
Norwich City III conceded a late goal to go down 2-1 at Pelicans. Rees Leonard had put the visitors in front while their man of the match was Luke Elwes, who had a strong debut in goal.
Norfolk Norfolk lead Division 3NE with maximum points on goal difference from UEA after winning 4-1 at Lowestoft Railway.
There was an eventful game in Division 5NE with Broadland Exiles winning 6-5 at Dereham III.
Mark Varley (2), Rob Panter (2), Ricky Powley and Phil Dawson got the goals for the visitors, with Mark Braybrook (3), Richard Stainthorpe and Gary Witton replying.