Men’s hockey round-up: Harleston Magpies get campaign up and running
- Credit: Archant
Harleston Magpies hammered visitors Letchworth 5-0 to record their first win of the season in Premier A.
Magpies got off to a flying start, forcing the opposition back into their own half, and eventually got the goal they deserved when Dave Gilbert stepped up to convert a penalty stroke after Ollie Whiteman's shot from a penalty corner had hit a foot on the line.
The hosts improved after the break and their impressive play, combined with opposition tiring, led to numerous chances being created. James Gray scored twice, one of the goals being a penalty flick, while Gilbert doubled his tally with a tap-in and Pete Bale also got on the scoresheet as he smashed it into the far corner.
The win put Magpies in good heart for next weekend's derby against Ipswich at Shotford Heath.
Norwich City had a day to forget, going down 6-0 at Ipswich, and have picked up just one point from their opening three fixtures since promotion.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham made a long trip to East London in Premier B and returned home with something to show for their efforts in the shape of a 1-1 draw.
Norwich City's second team went down 2-0 at home to Potters Bar in Division 1, while Magpies II went down 4-1 at Old Southendian.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
In Division 2NE Dereham II lost for the first time this season when they went down 3-1 at home to Cambridge Nomads, who took over top spot as a result.
Norwich Dragons finally got their season up and running when they saw off visitors Bourne Deeping II 4-0, thanks to two goals apiece from Rupert Snelling and Daumantas Matulevicius.
Norwich City III conceded a late goal to go down 2-1 at Pelicans. Rees Leonard had put the visitors in front while their man of the match was Luke Elwes, who had a strong debut in goal.
Norfolk Norfolk lead Division 3NE with maximum points on goal difference from UEA after winning 4-1 at Lowestoft Railway.
There was an eventful game in Division 5NE with Broadland Exiles winning 6-5 at Dereham III.
Mark Varley (2), Rob Panter (2), Ricky Powley and Phil Dawson got the goals for the visitors, with Mark Braybrook (3), Richard Stainthorpe and Gary Witton replying.