Men’s hockey: Harleston Magpies make it back-to-back wins
Harleston Magpies appear to be warming to the task in East League Premier A after a slow start to the season.
After taking just one point from their opening two fixtures they made it back to back wins - and in some style too - by beating visitors Ipswich 5-2.
James Gray gave Magpies the lead from a penalty corner and the hosts quickly doubled their lead when Dave Gilbert tapped in. Ipswich pulled one back before the interval and although Jack Hobbs extended the lead with a reverse into an empty goal it was soon 3-2.
However a composed last 15 minutes saw Magpies dominate play and Gilbert went on to complete his hat-trick with a penalty stroke and a goal from open play at a time when Ipswich were down to eight men.
It was a day to forget for Norwich City who were hammered 7-1 at a Saffron Walden side who had lost all three of their games before the weekend. Chris Wardale got the goal for City, who have taken just one point from a possible 12 since promotion.
Dereham bounced back to form in impressive fashion in Premier B when they beat visitors Bourne Deeping 5-3.
After going behind early on Dereham hit back when Guy Crooks calmly beat the keeper in a one-on-one and quickly made it 3-1 through Toby Culling and CJ Edwards before Bourne reduced the deficit.
- 1 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 2 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 3 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 4 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 5 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 6 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 7 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 8 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 9 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 10 Suspect identified in seafront hate attack
Dereham didn’t let this affect their rhythm and scored the goal of the game when Will Dewing went on a run and beat six players before firing home from the top of the D.
Dewing scored another excellent indvidual goal after the break to stretch the lead before the visitors had the final say.
In Division IN Magpies II had a good 4-2 win at Crostyx while Norwich City II were beaten 2-1 at home by Old Southendian (Jeremy Elliott).
It was a poor day for Norfolk teams in Division 2NE with only City III getting a point. They drew 4-4 with St Ives (Murray Breetzke, Dan Cheesman, Chris Perry, Lloyd Sayer) while Norwich Dragons lost 5-1 at Cambridge South (Rupert Snelling), Dereham II 3-0 at City of Peterborough III and Pelicans 3-1 at Bury St Edmunds.
Broadland Exiles maintained their position as joint leaders of Division 5NE with a 2-0 win over Sudbury III (Phil Dawson 2).