Haringey Borough 3 Dereham Town 0 – Viner is the hero despite Magpies’ defeat
Dereham were comfortably beaten on the opening day of the new season with Will Viner's heroics in goal keeping the scoreline respectable.
Town's Rhys Logan caused problems in the opening minutes and the visitors went close when Dion Frary glanced Dawid Radomski's corner inches wide.
But Borough opened the scoring in the ninth minute through Anthony McDonald.
Things soon got worse for Dereham as Christopher Benjamin steered home the lively McDonald's pull-back to increase the lead with 16 minutes on the clock.
The home side continued to press and Viner had to save a curling free-kick from sub Kwabena Asamoah.
You may also want to watch:
Radomski should have reduced the deficit in the 41st minute when he fired wide from close range as Dereham enjoyed their best period of the half.
After the break, Haringey created two half chances and were denied a third goal in the 56th minute when Viner made a brilliant save from Benjamin.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
Minutes later Daniel Aristidou rattled Viner's right post before the Town keeper made another quality save to deny Benjamin.
Viner produced yet another fine stop to keep out sub Ishmail Kamara's low drive. There was a chance for Dereham's Michael Sommerfield, who just failed to convert Craig Bussen's low cross and from the resultant corner Robbie Linford blazed inches over. Viner twice denied Benjamin from point blank range but in added time was unable to prevent him from grabbing a third.
Haringey: Palmer, Fenton, Adams, Djassi-Sabu (Asamoah, 22), O'Cearhill, Blackwood (Scott, 72), Aristidou, Kay, Benjamin, Willer, McDonald (Kamara, 74). Subs not used: Morse-McDougall, Byfield.
Dereham: Viner, Constandachi, Morphew, Linford, Frary, Sommerfield, Logan, Walters, Bussens, Radomski (Clayton, 72), Melanson (Cook, 61). Sub not used: Crisp.
Ref: D Knox