Hard work pays off for Norwich sprinter Clieo Stephenson in national 100m win
- Credit: Mark Shearman
Norwich's Clieo Stephenson won gold at the British Universities and Colleges (BUCS) outdoor athletics championships.
The sprinter put in an explosive performance in Bedford to record a new 100m personal best of 11.79 seconds. Building on bronze at the 2015 event, the Brunel University London student shone just a week after finishing her psychology dissertation.
'It has been great to upgrade to gold,' said the 21-year-old from Eaton. 'My training went better than planned last month, but I didn't think I would be running the times I did. I was really happy also not to crumble under the pressure from girls who have beaten me in previous years.'
Besides studying for her final exams, the former City of Norwich School pupil is now set to represent the British Students team at the Loughborough International Athletics Meeting on Sunday, May 22.
'Clieo has worked hard,' said coach Laura Turner-Alleyne from West London Sprints and Hurdles. 'She committed to the programme and stepped out of her comfort zone.
You may also want to watch:
'We are thrilled to see her start the season so well and cannot wait to see how well she runs.'
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 6 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 7 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 8 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?