Hard work pays off for Norwich sprinter Clieo Stephenson in national 100m win
- Credit: Mark Shearman
Norwich's Clieo Stephenson won gold at the British Universities and Colleges (BUCS) outdoor athletics championships.
The sprinter put in an explosive performance in Bedford to record a new 100m personal best of 11.79 seconds. Building on bronze at the 2015 event, the Brunel University London student shone just a week after finishing her psychology dissertation.
'It has been great to upgrade to gold,' said the 21-year-old from Eaton. 'My training went better than planned last month, but I didn't think I would be running the times I did. I was really happy also not to crumble under the pressure from girls who have beaten me in previous years.'
Besides studying for her final exams, the former City of Norwich School pupil is now set to represent the British Students team at the Loughborough International Athletics Meeting on Sunday, May 22.
'Clieo has worked hard,' said coach Laura Turner-Alleyne from West London Sprints and Hurdles. 'She committed to the programme and stepped out of her comfort zone.
You may also want to watch:
'We are thrilled to see her start the season so well and cannot wait to see how well she runs.'
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 6 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 9 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 10 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’