Handy Andy helps Foxwood to victory over rivals Wensum in Premier A of Norwich & District Table Tennis League
- Credit: Michelle Savage
Foxwood A just sneaked home 6-4 against Wensum B in their Premier A match.
Star performer was Andy Hawes who took all his singles and doubles, but was made to battle very hard against Jordi Gabriel just getting home 16-14 in the fifth leg.
In Premier B, Gothic B's 7-3 win against Foxwood B sees them top of the table. Harriers lost the chance to go top at the hands of Foxwood C who beat them 7-3, with a strong side of Zoltan Barabas, and Steve Sadd joining Andrew Leeds. At the bottom, Foxwood D made themselves more comfortable with their first win this season in convincing style over struggling SFC. Also suffering were Harriers C, losing heavily to the UEA squad scoring a maximum, and going down 1-9 to their B team, so not a good week for those in the relegation zone.
There was a keenly-contested 5-5 draw in Division One between CEYMS E and Foxwood G. The match swung one way and then the other with Foxwood's Seamus Chambers taking the first tie then CEYMS' Scurfield taking the second. Then there were two Foxwood wins, one each for Lindsay Horstead and Steve Hudson, before two for CEYMS through Scurfield and Mark Bishop. Two more came for Foxwood before the pendulum swung back to CEYMS as Scurfield completed his maximum and joined forces with Bishop to take the doubles. Unfortunately, after two successive wins, Wensum G were brought down to earth with a 1-9 defeat to Returners, which included good maximums from Aaron Hacon and Stuart Purling.
In Division Two all three top teams were given hard games but overcame stiff opposition to maintain their positions. The Originals battled it out with CEYMS F winning 7-3 with five of the games going to five sets. Missionaries took away the Returners B home team's unbeaten record, but had to battle to win 6-4. Dynamic Rams pushed hard against old adversaries Taverham C, but Rod Edwards beat Martin Edwards in a very close 10th game to gain a share of the points for the visitors. A very even game between Foxwood H and Fourbees A saw a share of the points between the sides. Foxwood went into the last game 5-4 up but Roy Hatton pulled out the stops to beat Paul Barritt for the valuable points.
You may also want to watch:
Thorpe St Andrew's 8-2 victory over Shelly Telly took them back to the top of Division Three. Norfolk County Council B won a close encounter with Tankards 7-3. Fairfield were too strong for Wensum J. The experienced Taverham D side had a 10-0 victory against Wensum J.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub