Handley is cleared to launch a bid
Paddy DavittKing's Lynn's former finance director David Handley last night stepped up his bid to re-launch a new club at The Walks after positive talks with the FA and the Official Receiver.Paddy Davitt
King's Lynn's former finance director David Handley last night stepped up his bid to re-launch a new club at The Walks after positive talks with the FA and the Official Receiver.
The EDP also understands a local business group has now pulled out of the race to take control of the newly-reformed outfit which will start next season at least two levels lower in the football pyramid.
Handley, along with speedway chief Buster Chapman and the supporter-led Blue and Gold Trust, have until Monday to formally submit their final proposals.
Leicester-based businessman Handley allayed fears he would be barred from helping reform a football team in the town after his involvement in the previous failed regime.
The 35-year-old had a brief stint on the board of the Unibond Premier Division club which was wound up in the High Court over an unpaid tax bill.
Handley revealed he had personally contacted both the governing body and the receiver handling the former club's affairs following initial discussions with West Norfolk council prior to Christmas.
- 1 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 2 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 3 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 4 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 5 Farmers call for Norfolk hosepipe ban
- 6 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 7 Firefighters battling forest blaze near Sandringham
- 8 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
- 9 Coastguard hunt for missing woman in early morning search
- 10 Two women in hospital with serious injuries after A47 slip road crash
'I'm working really hard on my business plan as we only have a few days left,' said Handley, who has previously pledged to pump �1m into the newly reformed club. 'But I have spoken to the receiver and the FA because I wanted to clarify the situation with regard to my involvement with the previous board. Both have assured me that it would not be a problem in terms of helping launch a new club so I hope that answers some of the concerns people may have had.
'When I spoke to the council before Christmas they wanted reassurances about the new football club and its long term future. They don't ever want to see what happened to the previous club happen again and I fully agree.
'I've said all along there would be no debt moving forward and I am willing to put the money in but I want to reiterate the council and fans will play a major role.'
Handley also confirmed former Linnets' chief Carl Heggs remains the man to take the club forward on the playing side. Heggs turned down a Conference South club before Christmas but has been linked with the managerial vacancy at Kidderminster in recent days.
'Carl is still fully committed and on board with this project,' said Handley. 'He wants to be part of King's Lynn's future and we have an agreement in place. He has given me his word that he will wait for the outcome of this process. If we get it then we can look to re-build the club. If we don't then he is obviously free to sort out his own future.
'I've also said all along I want to work with the Trust. I am willing to talk with them because it is their club and their town and they should play an important role in what replaces the old football team. I understand people's fears that I don't have a local connection to the area. I want to assure everyone I would base myself in the area and move across from the Midlands. That should just underline how serious I am to get this wonderful opportunity.'